another variation of the slow match tinderbox

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this time a South African version, the Tonteldoos, again a slow match tinderbox using 100% cotton, charred and catching a shark from flint and steel to ember to produce flame.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
a project that I will undertaking soon, from a Boer and a "how to make a Tonteldoos", I love these little tinder boxes and they will perfectly fit with my present flint and steel fascination. I am going to make up several of them and add one to each of my flint and steel kits.

I am actually thinking I will favor these over the slow match/tinder tube, though I will also be making up several of them as well.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
OK went to Bunnings and bought a length of copper tubing, 3/4" but had to get it in 1.5m length and a couple of end caps. Because of the amount I had to buy I have enough now to make around 15 of these (at 100mm length which I have determined to be about the best length to make them), and made one Tonteldoos up just now, and tested it, got it to ember and everything.
I am still waiting on a few components, some shock cord (could use paracord but I think shock cord will be better) to attach to the end caps.

I filled the Tonteldoos up with denim, works OK but I am waiting on 100% cotton flat lamp wick I will use instead as I believe it will work better, don't have any evidence for this and will give both a go and see what works best and settle on that.
I may also give 100% cotton terry cloth a go and 100% mop heads (like the original Tonteldoos used)

The 3/4" isn't really wide enough for my thich fingers, though my little finger just barely fits down to push the cotton up

Cut the pipe, rounded off the ends, fitted the end caps so the are a good friction fit, rolled up a length of denim, charred one end with a jet lighter, put it out, tested it out with my flint and steel, got and ember, took pics and was happy.

I will be making up a heap of these, easy to make and they work. Just have to make a few fires with them, just to be sure they work properly

components

this is the pouch I'll be keeping this Tonteldoos in, along with a flint and steel

complete at the bottom of pouch

one end (non charred end)

charred end

completed Tonteldoos

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
This honestly took about 15 minutes to make, would have taken a bit longer if I had to drill the end caps and add the shock cord. I will have to mark the charred end so I know which end it is.

fooling around with the Tonteldoos this afternoon and had mixed results, though it is overcast and quite muggy and has been raining (so a lot of moisture in the air which is never ideal conditions for char materials), the denim needs to be charred fairly far down, like all flint and steel char cloth needs to be close to perfect if you want it catch a spark easily and quickly. I couldn't get it to ember despite about 15 minutes of trying.

I know the old timers didn't have 'perfect' char cloth, nor did they rely on char cloth primarily as they used charred punk wood and other natural tinders but we are living in the 21st century and I can produce perfect char cloth, reliably every time.

I will revisit it in a few days. I did char more of the column and will 'fluff' up the charred end a bit in the hope it 'takes' a spark better next time.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
while not a true slow match it is close, and seems to work. I have charred the end and have successfully sparked it with flint and steel (my Olivemead striker, though like all the other problematic devices it takes some doing and maneuvering to get it to ember), though sorry not on camera.

I bought a 100% cotton lamp wick off Ebay, too small diameter and didn't quite know what to do with it, so experiment time.

First off, bought a 1m of the stuff, cut it into 30cm lengths, put into a 3 braid strand (learnt off YouTube and how I learn how to do all my weaving)

cut a 2506 case off, at the shoulder and base so it basically ends up as a brass tube, this is my snuffer, also drill a small hole near one end of it, smooth all edges.

Add a lanyard to the hole drill so you don't lose the entire slow match. Burn the end of slow match.

I threaded it through the shell doubled up and it seems to work quite well, takes a spark and is reasonably compact. Overall not a bad result. Still going to buy a real slow match but this one is still a great little experiment and utilizes an otherwise useless purchase.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
OK finished up 4 more tonteldoos just now, 3 of these are destined as thank you gifts and one is mine. I have 3 more cut out and enough pipe to make another 6 but have bought the local Bunnings out of 20mm end caps so have to wait for restock or go further afield.

I was actually toying with the idea of including one of these with each of the tonteldoos as a way of sparking it to ember

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solid-Brass-Micro-Camping-Survival-Fire-Starter-Wheel-Twin-Pack/281946628497?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or this version looks even better as it has a lanyard attachment and I could add a small carabina on it and I am sure the char cloth would take a spark from these sparkwheels.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solid-Brass-Mini-Camping-Survival-Fire-Starter-Wheel-Twin-Pack/281918823614?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649