another striker

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
first of the several steel strikers I have coming, I like this one, sparks well just tested it, got several pieces of char cloth embered fairly quickly, liked that it came in a little zip bag, nice touch though a little leather one would have been more appropriate.

I am going to have to learn to knap flint as I have already rounded off one piece of flint and rendered it useless and need to get a bopper and sharpen the edges again.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
got a very pleasant surprise today in the mail, two strikers arrived, one from the UK which surprised me as the postage was quick.

I was really looking forward to the curly "R" type, and even better were some extra goodies in the bag, some Amadou tinder which is almost unheard of here in Australia, so that will be fun to play with, a bag of char cloth and a nice piece of flint. All unexpected as I thought I was just buying the striker alone. Beaver Bushcraft went the extra mile and I am extremely happy.

I also received my dedicated possibles bag for this kit so it has a nice home to go in. (this bag didn't come from Beaver Bushcraft, I just lent the their card up against the bag when taking the pic)

Received another "C" type striker as well, this one is from Australia, so much more reasonably priced (under $20 posted, thanks Rich for putting me onto these ones, not a bad striker) though I will say it is not as robust as my viceroybooks "C" type but it does spark well so I am not worried about it.

I actually added the "C" type striker to the 1700's tinder box replacing the "U" type striker that was in there as I didn't like it that much, I still have to find a home for it.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Such novel strikers and should be fun to try out. There are tree fungus here in Australia which have been discussed on occasions. Excellent tinder even the smallest spark will get the fungi glowing. Works best if lightly charred. Only slight downside is the fungus combusts away quickly so have to get the kindling burning as quick as possible.

EDIT : The Amandou fungi tinder will work well for sure but not last long.

Afraid that around my area, the Central Tablelands have only found one tree fungi which I grabbed with glee and since then despite much searching have not found another.

The long dry drought has put paid to fungal growth I fear.

Another natural tinder to look for is a rotted she oak usually found along a riverbank. As I have mentioned in another thread have found she oak to be an excellent tinder. Best charred a bit.

Forgot to mention I have tried knapping with a bopper however my skill is not great so usually just crunch the edge of the flint (or whatever) with a pair of pliers. Crude but seems to work.

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah I have come to the conclusion I will probably just crunch the edges with pliers, as I am not up to knapping and have rounded off several pieces of flint already .

I will admit I have been a bit frustrated with the curly "R" type striker, haven't been able to get it to produce an ember yet despite a concerted effort all afternoon, and yet as soon as I swap over to my usual "C" type (with the same char cloth and flint) I get it to ember almost immediately.

I won't give up though, I will get it to produce an ember.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The "C" striker works well for me, as for the medieval reproduction "R" and other shapes that are offered by mostly Scandinavian sellers I wonder at times how people used them.

Guess some skills have been lost in this day and age.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just got another striker today, , Olivemead forge FS2 model, already tested for spark and got and ember on char cloth within about 8 strikes (using new methods learned and fresh flint) so very happy. Still working out how to use this pinch style.

The FS2 is high carbon Japanese steel, hand forged, and each is tested for spark before being shipped (so they produce a great deal of sparks), they spark well. Bit disappointed it didn't come with a piece of flint, especially in light of how much I paid for it.

Won't fit in my small possibles pouch very well, and have a larger possibles pouch on the way, which I will transfer this one over to, and the small one will be for my Old Nordic striker.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Looks quite elegant and easy to put your hand through the handle for a firm hold.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Olivemead striker success getting an ember

here I show me getting an ember using my Olivemead striker just gotten today, and one of those rare first strike embers on camera.

I really like this striker, produces a great amount of sparks and I am finding it easy to use. I have to say it is among the best strikers I own and is easy to use and I have adapted to using the pinch style well using it.

Bought a viceroy brass oval tinder tinder tin for it, and a large possibles bag for it, will add a lot of tinder and several flints in there as well.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hunt about for some quartz which is free and throws a good spark, saves on buying flints. Plenty of quartz about in the old goldfield areas.

Even my pathways here at home have pebble quartz and a few days ago found a largish piece. Gave it a crack with the bopper (practising my knapping) along a fault line which gave me some pieces with good sharp edges.

Gave excellent sparks, quartz is easy to knap with a bopper or the crude way with a pair of pliers.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
and the new home for my Olivemead striker (thankfully fits with room left over for some flint and possibly some char cloth), Tedd Cash Oval Tinder Box in Brass, one piece of flint fits in the box with the striker, going to have another in the possibles bag when it turns up.

I am continually impressed by Tedd Cash quality, I now have like 4 of his tinder boxes and tins and am running out of varieties to buy, but in reality I don't need any more.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
replacement striker for the curly "R", Beaver Bushcraft went the extra mile with this lot and included a huge piece of flint (the largest piece I have ever seen personally) and amadou, jute tinder etc

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here's a quick video showing me getting an ember with my newest Old Nordic striker, I really like this striker, it is on par with my Olivemead striker IMO for ease of use.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I love that flint !
so do I, it is a magnificent piece. I have contacted Beaverbushcraft and asked if I can buy similar sized pieces off them, I would love to secure several pieces that size/quality for my flint and steel craft.