Another Perth/WA meet! Jumbick Hill (Mt Mambup) Park

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Probably still collecting their gear after it got blown across most of the Avon Valley!
'twas a tad windy out there last weekend.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Guys, Thrud was nominated as scribe and I'm sure he's doing his best to get it written up! It's a bit hard to type when you're missing a bit of a finger :_lol:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Apologies for the delay.

Normal service will be resumed a soon as possible.

Took 3 hours to download Doc's pics...

Just need to run the report past the lawyers and censors....

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
WA bushcraft meet report; apologies for the delay...

The weather was bad, really bad and the forecast was for worse; where there's no sense there's no feeling, so Doc, Uneekwahn and Thrud decided to defy the weather and their better halves and stick to their original plan. The final team member, Browny, whilst not able to join us on the Friday night, later provided a mission critical resupply.

It was to be a wet weekendImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259006.753619.jpg

Doc's new son of Alice pack was very comfortable and has lots and I mean lots of pockets.
We were lucky for the walk in as there was no rain, but right on cue the second front of the day hit as we were establishing camp, Doc, a seasoned hammocker deployed his kit in the blink of an eye, dressed in his poncho from the BCOz store

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259122.435235.jpg

Thrud bravely cowered in Uneekwahns tarp shelter waiting for the front to pass and then was given a very helpful lesson in ridge line and tarp tie outs by Doc. Nothing fancy; hootchie cord with truckers hitch and another knot which I know how to tie but cannot remember the name of.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259508.970331.jpg
Wise master...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259377.929926.jpg
The lunacy started early...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259410.533193.jpg
Uneekwahn's setup with the Helinox chair (tactical version hoo haa!)

After the shelters were up the next job was the fire; early wood cache meant we had a few dry kindling, the grass trees were the saviour of the weekend and the fire lasted all weekend: eventually requiring 12litres of water to extinguish. Would we have stayed without the fire? I'm not so sure we would.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259689.025002.jpg
Manly man.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375259717.921064.jpg
Thrud's setup. The terra rosa prospector tarp with extra tie outs was fantastic, all three of us were using MSR pegs, some of Doc's bent with the force of the wind.

Browny had forged his own pegs and they were sensibly dipped in yellow plastic, very nice design.

Once the fire was going it was time for food; a smorgasbord was on offer, biltong ( proper stuff), a type of boerewors, fishcakes, mee
Goreng, chorizo and cous cous.

Oh! And beer, lovely beer IPAs from all corners.

After dinner we all sheltered under one tarp and enjoyed some old fashioned pastimes like singing and finger slicing and chocololate. ( memo to self, never use a rajah 2 knife that you've never used before to cut chocololate, especially when it can be snapped into 3 fair portions.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375261532.616051.jpg
Excellent first aid drill complete with real blood.

The night had a few other surprises in store in the form of thunderstorms that were far, then near, then nearer still. We figured, probably incorrectly, that as long as we were in the hammocks we were not earthed and therefore immune from the forces of nature. Yes, we were idiots.

The next morning the wind had died down and eventually the static electricity left our bodies. Uneekwahn had imported dehydrated eggs and insisted that we all try them. I looked at Doc and he looked at me, we looked at the powder and then back at Uneekwahn.
They were unbelievable, if you didn't know they were dehydrated you would not have guessed, a really fantastic discovery, mixed with chorizo and chipotle sauce even better.

The morning was spent cutting more wood for the fire and posing for album covers...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375261967.625691.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375261984.283286.jpg

The weather brightened and then it was time to head back down to meet Browny. We were delighted to see him and even more delighted to get more supplies fresh from the Feral brewery in the form of Hop Hog.

Thrud has lost his heavyweight crown and bows in awe at the carrying capacity of Browny and the amount of kit he can pack.

Back up the hill as the sun broke through for a drink and a meal under the now clear skies, comparing gear etc.

There were bull ants, spiders and hundreds of caterpillars all sitting off the ground on the grass, sorry no pictures of them.

The nearby dam was full of tadpoles and frogs, rabbits just beyond

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375262493.421932.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375262346.959027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375262366.165511.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375262381.647728.jpg

The Saturday night was largely uneventful, after little sleep the preceding night we all slept well and I did not snore.

Sunday morning, browny had brought eggs and bacon and made a damper with honey that Doc got from NZ

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375262643.943977.jpg

A really excellent breakfast.

After the nosh it was time to decamp and LNT which, apart from the mud around the campfire, I think we accomplished

It was a good weekend to test gear, Evans' tarp was bombproof throughout, the water was cached previously and was very useful, Doc collected about 2 litres, we could have got more if the wind had not been so strong. I realised that the water on the sleeping bag was all from vapour lock and will look at replacing the car windscreen reflector with a proper under quilt.

Having done many years in tents and only 4 nights in a hammock I am not going back on the ground.

Thanks for this meet go to Uneekwahn for all the behind the scenes work with the ranger and maps and lunch at the Feral Brewery.

The next meet is planned for the end of August, our host the legendary Bloffy, the location Albany, all very welcome.

Thank you for you attention.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Nice one Thrud - a great adventure. I hope you all had bug mesh - the spider you posted the picture of could have killed any one of you. It's from the mouse spider family, with venom potentially as dangerous as the Sydney funnel web...

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That has sent a shiver down my spine, what is the name of the spider?

It was heading straight for my tarp and I flicked it somewhere else , but didn't see where !

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Great write up Thrud, thanks for offering to be trip scribe, I appreciate it.

It was an extremely fun trip, with a little bit of GET ME THE **** OUT OF HERE from me during the lightning storm, I think I lost some man points there, but made up for it with the awesome pics of me with wood and an axe.

I'm concerned re the spider AussiePreppers, I'll do a bit of research and post my findings.

Glad your finger is fine Thrud and thanks to you, Doc and Browny for being such awesome blokes and having such a fun bloody time.

Jason.

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Its ok fellas, its only a spider. They have small mouths and don't eat much.

Thanks for the write-up Thrud.

I wish I was able to be there Friday night with you all, I love a good storm! But I guess the beer run earns me a couple of man points.

Glad to be able to put faces to names at last.

Roll on August and Albany.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks for the great write up Thrud! I had a fantastic time last weekend with you guys and it was great to meet Browny at long last. Many thanks to Uneekwahn for organising the weekend so well. Bring on the next trip!

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
You read that and still want to meet us? You're as crazy as we are!! ;)

I'll put together a catch up drink night one week soon and you'll be more than welcome to come along to that!

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Yup, looks like the Red-headed Mouse spider to me.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Red-headed-Mouse-Spider-Missulena-occatoria

Damn gingers, causing problems!!!! ;)
Just had a look at my copy Guide to the Wildlife of the Perth Region (Simon Nevill Publications), for want of a better reference, and I'd say it's the Western Granulated Mouse Spider (Missulena granulosa), rather than it's Red-headed cousin.
That guide doesn't mention the other species, so I'm guessing it's the same genus [I hope those terms are correct!? I never did biology. :emozionato:]

Thrud, was this thing just wandering about in daylight? If so, Nevill describes it thus "Males have the strange habit of wandering in broad daylight ..." - much like us lot! The book then goes on to warn that yes, it's venom is rather dangerous.