Another Perth/WA meet! Jumbick Hill (Mt Mambup) Park

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
How are we for water up that way? Will we need to lug it in?
I'm not seeing anything nearby that could be a good source. Unless it rains (and Bloffy can fill his boots).

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
We will have to lug it in, might place a cache beforehand, alternatively Bloffy can have a chat with the boys at Pearce and we could get them to chopper in the bubbly...

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
lol. Don't know what ya talking about Thrud.
@Redtail: If you want to drink the captured water from THOSE boots, then fill your boots (figuratively)....

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The orienteering mob are up that way tomorrow. Their directions to the start point are "... turn right into Walyunga National Park Road. Follow the road for approximately 1km and turn right just before the park boundary. Follow signs to parking and assembly area."
By my reckoning it's actually about 1.6km (but then I'm not an orienteeringer) and takes you into the bottom of the hill, just down from the proposed campsite.
I'm wondering if this track, which is probably the northern end of Copley Rd, is publicly accessible, or DEC is opening a gate for them off Walyunga Rd.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I was hoping to get out there today or tomorrow, but unfortunately my wife was unwell this morning so I stayed home to look after her and help with my daughter, and low and behold, I'm now sick (AGAIN :mad: :mad: :mad:) and won't make it tomorrow.

When I head out there next weekend or any weekend prior to the meet, I'll take a couple of cubes of water with me to leave out there.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Give us a shout when you are heading out and I'll come along.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi All
Did a 11-12 km hike with the wife & dog around Mt Mambup yesterday. Saw about 40-50 roos. I am keen on a water drop prior to the meet.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve just had a chat with Paul Udinga (our Ranger friend) about our planned camp at Jumbuck Hill / Mt Mambup. He’s on holiday for the next two weeks and I said I’d touch base with him upon his return and he’ll get word to the current Ranger at Walyunga (Dave Briggs) as to our plans.

He has no issue with us camping at the site we’ve picked and is happy for us to enter from the Walyunga Road side of the park. He advised that just past the gate at Walyunga there is a small camp area which basically follows the maintenance track to where we’re planning on camping and offered us the use of this spot to park our vehicles.

He also said he’s quite happy that we are camping in areas that aren’t specifically designed for camping. He used the term “remote camping” but qualified by saying that’s not the term he wanted to use, but that he thought I got the gist of what he meant.

Looking forward to the camp out at the end of the month!

Jason.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Good stuff! I've met Mr Udinga a number of times, and he's a top bloke. Like most rangers, if you're doing the right thing, they're very compliant.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Good stuff! I've met Mr Udinga a number of times, and he's a top bloke. Like most rangers, if you're doing the right thing, they're very compliant.
Over the 3 or 4 years I've been conversing with him by phone and email, I've not yet had the opportunity to meet him, which is a shame, because as you say, he is a top bloke!

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Not acceptable at all.

You must attend, otherwise we will revoke your member card.
I think I've just been TOLD!

Shame, too, as I'll have several new toys for show and tell.

Let me see how work's panning out, and I'll confirm one way or the other.