Another Perth/WA meet! Jumbick Hill (Mt Mambup) Park

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
A few of us (myself, Doc and Thrud) have hiked at Jumbuck Hill Park, and after a hike earlier today, Doc and I have come across a couple of good spots for a hang.

It's about a 3.5km walk from where we'd park the cars and has an easterly view.

Post your interest and weekend availability here and we'll go from there. I'd like this as a two nighter, but can adjust to suit the majority.

Cheers,

Jason.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Awesome. Probaably won't be able to make this one, as much as I'd like to, due to the distance. I'm still looking at a WA Wongi down here. Maybe towards the end of August. Wwould there be much interest in that. Looking at Waychinicup NP or Fernhook Falls in South Frankland NP. Good luck with the Jumbuck camp. Sorry to hijack your thread Jason.
cheers
Bloffy

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Very keen on both. The spot Ukeenwahn & I found today looks great for a hammock hang. Redtail, you can bring a tent:_(D):

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Very keen on both. The spot Ukeenwahn & I found today looks great for a hammock hang. Redtail, you can bring a tent:_(D):
Two!

If I can align wheels, lemon tarts, and other events, I will be there.
First weekend of the month until November is out for me, but choose what suits all of you and if I can get there, I will.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
How does Friday and Saturday 26/27 July sound for all?

My plan would be to depart from the office early Friday afternoon and head straight out to the park to camp.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think that is ok for me, just need to chase one roster.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that date, but in the meantime ...

Questions ...
1) can anyone pick me up from West Perth (work) or Daglish (home) on either day, and drop me back home on Sunday?
2) great for a hang, but is there any flat ground for us near-troglodytes?

Uneekwahn, you're saying come in via Copley Rd and walk about 3km north along the main ridge track?

My DEC (soon to be DPW) map shows this was a dwelling site. Part of the original Jumbuck Hill Farm, maybe. Is that correct?
Otherwise it seems to indicate unoccupied as the Jumbuck Hill Regional Park, which is effectively part of Walyunga NP.
Does this mean we need ranger permission? Doc?

... many questions.

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'm liking the sound of both events. But wont jinx myself by committing too early this time.

If the planets align, and I can secure sufficient pain killers, my hammock, some sharp implements, combustibles and myself my be there.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that date, but in the meantime ...

Questions ...
1) can anyone pick me up from West Perth (work) or Daglish (home) on either day, and drop me back home on Sunday?
2) great for a hang, but is there any flat ground for us near-troglodytes?

Uneekwahn, you're saying come in via Copley Rd and walk about 3km north along the main ridge track?

My DEC (soon to be DPW) map shows this was a dwelling site. Part of the original Jumbuck Hill Farm, maybe. Is that correct?
Otherwise it seems to indicate unoccupied as the Jumbuck Hill Regional Park, which is effectively part of Walyunga NP.
Does this mean we need ranger permission? Doc?

... many questions.
1 - I can grab you from West Perth if you're able to finish up around 2pm that day (that's when I plan on leaving the office) and I'll even be kind and drop you back to your home on Sunday.
2 - Plenty of flat spots for those who are afraid of heights ;)

You're also correct re the method of reaching the spot.

I'm not sure re it being a dwelling site, however, it was once owned by the Bond Corp (or at least Mrs Bond I believe) and was earmarked to be part of the Brigadoon development and there are still signs around the area that indicate this.

It isn't actually part of Walyunga NP, it is a regional park in it's own right and is managed by DEC. Dogs are actually allowed in the area.

I've already discussed the possibility of camping there for a couple of nights with the Ranger and he has no issue with it as he recognises how responsible we (Peter and myself at least, we haven't told him about you ferals ;)) are. His actual words were "There are no rules to say you can or cannot camp there but as I know you and Peter are very responsible, I don't have an issue with you camping there".

Hope this helps!

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I'm liking the sound of both events. But wont jinx myself by committing too early this time.

If the planets align, and I can secure sufficient pain killers, my hammock, some sharp implements, combustibles and myself my be there.
Browny, let me know if you need me to send my crack crew of drilling experts on a rocket to any planet to help re-align it. They'll also be listening to Aerosmith on the way, hope that isn't an issue? :_lol:

I'm more than happy to either:

1. Pick you up on my way through with Redtail and assist you in carrying your gear; or
2. Meet you at the entry point and assist you in carrying your gear.

Whatever I can do to get you out there, let me know.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
"We're going to Brigadoon, we're goin' to Brigadoon ..."
Ah ... the serenity!

I got some info from Dave Osborne, here http://www.walkgps.com/Bells Rapid-Mount Mambup Walk.htm
Apparently, the area was once (part of?) Jumbuck Hill farm. This may explain the Bond connection. Perhaps with the fall of Bond's empire, the land didn't get developed and passed to the state? An interesting side story, methinks, to follow up sometime.

Anyhoo ...

Sounds good to me, thanks, uneekwahn.

The date is still yet to be confirmed for me, so please continue with your plans everyone, and I'll firm up my commitment closer to the date.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looks like I'm in too.
@Redtail Don't worry about flat ground; once I've dropped my kit on the hill it'll be flat as...

Thanks for sorting Uneekwahn.

I'm bringing a pergola as well as my shrubbery.