BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another croc attack

Kindlling

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Met this guy a couple years ago at a ww2 radar site tour .

he was telling me how he liked to go bush hunting and fishing and we chatted about plants .

lucky he had army boots on and his military hunting knife 😅 good job remembering to take a big breath before he was dragged under .

if you've ever seen a croc that big they get huge when they fill out at that size , thats a huge animal , they told him no one has ever come back up .

the humans have been fighting their way out of the crocodiles jaws well this last year .

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Met this guy a couple years ago at a ww2 radar site tour .

he was telling me how he liked to go bush hunting and fishing and we chatted about plants .

lucky he had army boots on and his military hunting knife 😅 good job remembering to take a big breath before he was dragged under .

if you've ever seen a croc that big they get huge when they fill out at that size , thats a huge animal , they told him no one has ever come back up .

the humans have been fighting their way out of the crocodiles jaws well this last year .
I lived in the Territory for 10 years, I survived cyclone Tracey in 74. When you live there if you have any sense at all you are very careful about going anywhere near water. I used to go fishing & hunting at "The Gap". A croc took my fish one time, I was using a heavy line wrapped around my steel folding chair. The croc dragged my chair through the sand for maybe a meter before the line broke. I always carried a holstered revolver back then.
Crocs don't always come from the water, sometimes that are already higher up on the bank & will take you on the way down. You never get close enough to the water for a croc to grab you, & when filling the billy you always use a rope attached.
Keith.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's a pretty full on knife to be carrying :D. It makes me wonder if carrying that added to his bravado? I can't think of many reasons to carry a knife like that.

I can understand his complacency. There are some beautiful sandy swimming holes on the fitzroy river (the one in NW WA). Every few years someone gets taken from one of them - or they used to. I never liked swimming in murky water - my imagination keeps me safe :D

Last edited:

Kindlling

Les Stroud
Reaction score
About that knife size Randall ,

To quote crocodile dundee

“Yeah well ..... barramundi is a bloody big fish !“ 😁

Last edited:

Kindlling

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yes i carry 6.5 inch blade for this reason too in the bush , you never know when you will need it so its best to be prepared . Btw have been bailed up by a pig before caught unawares , we crossed each others paths and she had piglets .

barefoot dave

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Yes i carry 6.5 inch blade for this reason too in the bush , you never know when you will need it so its best to be prepared . Btw have been bailed up by a pig before caught unawares , we crossed each others paths and she had piglets .
The most dangerous kind of encounter!