another cool lighter

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I found another cool lighter, this one doesn't even have a flame, and is completely unlike anything I have ever seen before.

Based on the ancient concept of the slow match. Just bought one as I just have to have one, wasn't a big investment (like $7 including shipping) I really like this concept.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
It is kind of very distantly related, but made me think of ragtime. I'd heard a story of where this term originated from, but funnily enough can't find anything on it now.

I think it was roman military (or so the story went). An old time way of co-ordinating attacks etc. All the commanders would meet, if they were to co ordinate an attack, they were each given a piece of smoldering cloth of the same size. They would return to their respective troops. When the cloth had completely burned, it was time to attack or do whatever the plan was. Rag time came to mean something like "loose time"; not great accuracy as far as seconds go.

I can imagine the concept of your lighter may have had its origins in artillery - yes, even early firearms?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
also based on the matchlock firearm and slow match tinder tube .

matchlock
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchlock

I have been recently fascinated by this concept, and stumbled upon this lighter when researching slow match tinder tubes for flint and steels. I love the idea of these as they have no fuel so storage of them poses no problem long term and they are wind proof. The only thing I can see as an issue with them being is they are somewhat big. I think they are going to be a good lighter, either way I'll find out as I have ordered one so I'll will see and report back when I get it. If it's a good one I'll get more of them.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
You may find this interesting - build your own, but using a flint and steel, rather than a spark wheel :
(No Affiliation)

John McDouall Stuart used a similar device in 1860s and I believe it was the ultimate in high tech at that time !

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I thought of that, and also when the flint wheel stopped working I can use the flint and steel to keep it going.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
mine turned up today

uncharred and ready to char (which I did on camera)

I was so impressed with this lighter I ordered two more and three refill ropes. Very cool concept.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
honestly mate I am sure it was easy and anyone could do it, you just have to fool around with it a bit and work out how best to get it to work for you. I am glad I got both the flint and steel and ferro rod to catch a spark on it as well, that's what was I really wanted to know, and thinking about this now you could also use dead Bics (those that have run out of fuel) or anything that produces a spark, and I am going to try a magnifying glass at some stage as well.

I am absolutely fascinated by the rope lighter and find it very cool, definitely my new favorite lighter now.

One point though, and one thing I didn't think about is what if the rope gets wet, the lighter would stop working for sure. The solution would be to carry the rope lighter in a small waterproof case or baggie, which I am going to look into.