BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

alone in the wilderness

Bucketosudz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
That is Richard "Dick" Proenneke and his story is one that legends are made of. He was a true outdoorsman and a insightful individual on many levels. Shame I did not learn of him before he passed, he would have been one of the top fellows I would like to have met in person. I have both books which contain much of his journal entries of his stay in Twin Lakes. There are three videos, two of which contain much footage of Dick and another of Bob Swerer and his Son's visit to Twin Lakes. The newest DVD just came out on the 1st of July and is a real delight to watch as well. Rumor has it that there is another edition of his journals at the press right now and is due out anytime. If you seek or desire his DVD's or Books you can find them here:
http://www.dickproenneke.com/ His story has been money well spent for me to acquire and I hope someday to travel to Twin Lakes, Alaska and visit his cabin which now resides un-touched and un-molested as part of protected State Park.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
he certainly lived the dream, self sufficient and free. Thanks Oz for showing us this again.

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Dick Proenneke is my all time bush hero! His movies are so inspiring and moving (thanks to Bob Swerer)! I have no idea how many times I have just put his movie on and sat awe struck as he works his magic. His journal and records from his years at Twin Lakes are fantastic reading! His published journal is also amazing reading although he was apparently unhappy with the editing of it!

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I watch this everynow and then to remind my self that the simple life is not so simple, but it sure is better than sitting at a desk for the rest of my life. A way of life i wish i could behold...

If ever there was a staunch man in the world Dick was that man.