BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

ALL PACKED ( Almost)

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
This is my big winter pack with too much gear in it.
Also my bumbag containing the essentials for safety and navigation along with my old skiing day and a half pack
This is what comes when you pack for comfort not speed, everything takes up 50% more room and masses 20% more into the bargain.
not shown are my 2 pair of ski boots and the second set of short stocks for the piste.
Bum bag 8 litres
WE Tour-jour1 1/2 day pack 35 litres
WE Alpine expedition pack 90 litres plus 8l for the stove pocket

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
... and the piece of paper on the floor reads:

'Tenzing, my faithful sherpa, please take this lot and deposit it at the campsite. I will follow ...' :;):

Hope you have a great trip and the weather holds fair - envy ya!

Last edited:

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Have a great trip Moondog. Cheers Peter

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks awesone ! (I like the ice axe cliped on the pack - planning some climbing ?)

Have a fantastic trip.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I am a little keyed up with anticipation so still awake at 0100hrs
Yes, with luck some easy ice will present itself, otherwise the climb up Feathertop is safer with axe and crampons
The big mat on top ( Ridgerest Solar ) weighs so little but if I have to do any scrub pushing it will get trashed so moving it down when I need to.
First day is the full 11ks into the hut and setting up the base camp tent, then it gets easy

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
How did your trip go Moondog ??

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Maybe I should have written a full trip report.
Trip was both good and bad.
The big tent that I spent a few days working on was simply not strong enough to handle 140kph wind gust, as there were a few bits I missed reinforcing.
That was why I also had the Megamid with me.
New mattress system worked like a charm, sleeping bags were warm enough ( just sold the down half bag to a feller on the bushwalking forum too ) and the US Army cold weather gear performed as well as the commercial expensive counterpart.
Snow conditions were fabulous.
I wasn't fit enough, but I never am at the start of a trip and the first week was hard.
I got totally lost in a whiteout once ( Went right instead of left at a track junction ) and wound up having to climb out of a gulley front pointing in Nordic ski boots with no ice-axe.
I lost 12 kilos and a few inches around the gut in 10 days, bent and broke the poles on the pulk and need to rebuild it ( I fell one time too many ) gave myself stress fractures of both feet trying to run in plastic double boots when my beloved asked me to come home as quickly as possible and I did a complete round trip from Falls Creek home to the camp packed up and went back in a 24 hour period, and drove all the way home in the same day too.
I can't wait until next year to do it again with a better big tent and some new ski boots.
My feet are still healing

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Sounds like quite a trip Moondog, thanks for the report!

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
And the saddest part is I got totally engrossed in the business of living and simply forgot to take pictures.
There is something almost mystical about being out on freshly fallen snow under a full moon when the air is so cold it freezes the liquid in your nose and your eyes glue shut with the ice but you are working so hard you need to take off your jacket and let the sweat escape.