BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AliExpress Knives ...

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
D2 Knife.jpg

Love'em / hate them ( AliExpress ) ... But I decided to at last buy something , after ? years of procrastinating !
So I ordered a few CHEAP knives .
This knife is making the rounds of Chinese sellers and FeeBay with prices here and there .
This was pretty much the cheapest price I have seen for this knife , and landed in Oz , around $10 Bananas .

First impression :

Larger than I thought , lighter , better made .. I was expecting complete junk !
Though I will say the screws were some what lose . After tightening , there is no issue .
The blade .......
Really poorly ground , the edge snakes rather clearly to the naked eye and the grind is clearly uneven .
But , what do you want from a cheap knife . ( I have done better for $10 )
The edge is sharp , in certain parts and not sharp in other parts ( that rubbish grind ) .
Do I try to clean up the bevel ? Might have to remove a lot of steel ?
This knife has no name or model I am aware off .
I will test it as time permits , but is the first knife to make it to me that I ordered from AliExpress . ( 1st time I have done so )
To be honest , it's cheap enough for me to not really care one way or the other ( call me Covid Bored ) . So I was only curious as to just how bad the knife could be .
That's right , I bought it to see how bad it might be ( negative expectations ) .
As far as a fidget knife goes , it seems to fidget just fine . Not as good as some , but at the very least $10 worth of fidget !
That's one box ticked . If it can do 100 slices of rope ? Then it might really be a $10 knife .
I am expecting a few more arrivals , especially since this was not the first knife I purchased .

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

Just let me say this knife is in my OPINION Dangerous !

A) THe tip of the blade is just in the right place to catch anything rolling over the handle / grip - Like your finger !
The knife was in my pocket . I reached in and my finger caught the tip and now has a hole in it . If I had attempted a more aggressive reach , the damage could have been serious .
B) Those wood grip panels are slippery , almost to the point of being like they were lubricated . A knife that slips and slides in your hands ? In my opinion is dangerous .

Blade :

The factory grind was terrible , really bad . I had to regrind the bevel .
Slicing rope with this flat profile , it's not good against a flat surface .
At 100 slices , looks like the blade picked up a roll .
I have stopped the video @ 150 slices , but I took it to 250 in my test - @ 250 it did a hard fail

Stropped Back :

5 passes each way on soft leather and the edge was slicing paper again
Another 5 passes each way on hard leather and there was crunching ( roll breaking away )
And it was slicing paper very easily .

What is the blade steel ? It did better than 100 slices , making it better than 10c a slice ( Value index )
Would I recommend it ? Not really , I think the knife is dangerous and a pain in some part of your body ( finger for me ) .

I reprofiled the tip , rolling the tip down so as not to pick up passing fingers and to slightly shorten it . ( Looks to do the job )
Also de horned the back end as it was irritating as all .
Now to solve the slippery grips problem . ( It's a problem - watch the video )

To sum it up .
Dangerous / really poorly ground blade / needs fixing .
Walk and talk is fine , lock holds , fidgets ok .
Performance is ok for the price , I mean you could buy a $100 knife that does worse .. ( a lot worse = RIP )

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Chinese 535.jpg

Chinese 535 Clone , = Simply the cheapest one I could find on AliExpress .
@ $11.32 USD or $15.27 Oz bananas ( current exchange rate ) .. To my door .
It be a cheap knife to buy .
They are on FeeBay , but from $25 USD and up ...
Question begs , how much do you want to pay .. ?
Whilst I would love to own and test the real deal , the buy in price for the ride is a little steep .
Now this is my 2nd Chinese 535 , and the first one ? Ranged from some 100 slices to 250 slices depending on the edge it was given .
I think I overpaid for that first one , and this second one may balance the books (?)

Seriously love the concept , and if your pockets are deep enough (?) , the real deal might be sweet .
For now I will just have to play with the pretenders .

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

Factory edge cuts rope !

50% of the blade had a massive bur ...
I stropped the blade to try and remove as much bur as possible .
First few passes thru the rope , was like using a hack saw .
Result was a 100 slice fail ( cos it was two 50 slice steps )

Re-ground bevel :

On the wet stone grinder we go .
It's getting to be a swan song ! The factory edge was FUBAR . A really bad grind .
I have cleaned it up around - maybe - 98% . So .... Round two will .....
Woolly weather ATM , so might be a few days before I get an op to slice again .

Last edited:

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

With a fresh edge it was time to cut rope ..
Result was a 150 slice pass or a 200 slice fail ..
Having paid som $15 for this knife a 150 pass = 10c a slice performance / value index .

Guided knife sharpener :

I re sharpened the knife on the guided knife sharpener ..
22 degrees / 180 grit diamond / 800 grit oxide de bur ..
The steel is buttery , the 180 grit diamond eating the steel for lunch .
So considering the rather soft steel , the performance was surprising .
Buying this knife , I think I got what I paid for and maybe a little more .

One day , I might see what it would cost to have some of the low performing knives - Re heat treated ..
Really have nothing to lose in that regard .. Would I gain , or lose , performance ? ( One day )

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Tunafire.jpg

This is the 3rd knife ordered from AliExpress , and cost about twice as much .
TUNA - FIRE ............
If your into flashlights (?) , you may be aware of UltraFire , UniqueFire , TrustFire , SaintFire , ...........
In fact I have a SupFire within reach right now ...
TunaFire ......... Yeah !!!! I guess I had to buy it !

I have de horned the knife .. Fidgeting the knife just gave me a sore hand . The clip , another source of PAIN !
The size and weight are right there for a pocket knife , the clip works well and helps distribute the weight so as to make the knife easy to carry .
So if you carry a lot and use a little ..
THe walk N talk is great , everything is straight ..
? The liner lock only engages the blade about 1/3 , so 2/3 of the liner lock is shooting the breeze . This may want tweaking ?
Seems like a decent knife , but haven't sliced rope yet .

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

TunaFire GT959 D2 @ the rope !
100 slice FAIL ................
That is impressively bad ... Ok it's the factory edge and it might be FUBAR !
I put a new edge on with the guided knife sharpener ( 22 degrees ) .. And there was some fubar .
So will see what happens soon ...

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score

22Deg 180 grit Diamond cut , Guided Knife Sharpener edge .....

300 Slice fail , yep , a serious increase from the factory edge .
Still not great for a D2 blade , but not bad for a $18.30 USD knife .
I mean , it put's a lot of other knives to shame ...

I did remove the blade and then put it to the Wet Stone Grinder ..
1/3 of the blade is still FUBAR , the 1/3 towards the handle / grip .
So I might run it thru the rope one more time to see how the ground edge performs .
Im going to need more rope ... ( no chance of running out of knives though )