BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Alice frame mod

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Howdy Mates!
I just completed another mod to an alice frame
some folks (me included) don't like the way the alice frame sits way back and while there is a reason for it the (kooling factor) allowing air to circulate.

the problem i see with it is that it places to much of the load on the kidneys.
the weight should run down from the shoulders, more or less in a straight line, with most of the weight resting on the hips.
i have done this same mod on two other alice packs that now live with other folks.
please note: i also will do the hellcat mod to this pack once the straps arrive in the mail

this mod brings the load closer to the wearers center of gravity and as for me, hey i sweat no matter what pack i'm lugging up a mountain
anyhow maybe a few industrious individuals will take this on...be advised this mod works very well when used with the molle ll shoulder straps...woods

here i drill the strut support rivet, drill only far enough to free the strut, you'll need to use this rivet again.

001-29.jpg

here ya go...pivot strut out of the way and reset the rivet with a center punch and drift punch

002-32.jpg

next, drill the two top rivets (see photo) that hold the strut support ends and the metal kidney belt support rings.
you can discard the strut support but hang onto the two support rings

003-27.jpg

004-27.jpg

next use a square or straight edge to mark the frame as shown in photo

005-25.jpg

OK...now using a Dremel or hack saw cut the marked lines as showh in photo

006-24.jpg

if you did it right you should have a pile of crap that looks like this
you can discard these if you like

007-23.jpg

after cleaning rough surfaces caused by cutting, next follow the photos to mark and drill for 8/32 machine screws and matching lock nuts

009-26.jpg

010-24.jpg

012-19.jpg

Repeat the same on the opposite side of frame and thats it your done
re attach the kidney belt as usual, and install pack to frame the same as you normaly would.
the only difference is in how you thread the shoulder straps to the bottom of the frame

011-19.jpg

013-17.jpg

thread the bottom strap as showm in photo
run the strap through the top of the metal ring and around the frame
this will hold your straps securely...thats it!

017-14.jpg

015-16.jpg

020-13.jpg

this is a large alice pack...can't wait for tthe molle straps to arrive!...thanks for lookin...woods

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
carrys great! especially when used with molle ll shoulderstraps...this is the third frame ive done this mod too...after folks try them out the door they go! LOL...woods

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Ohh man, you are drilling on your anvil! :_s:

Anyhow beside that, your mods rocks!