Aldi sales

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of the boots this morning and headed off bushwalking in the rain for a couple of hours... walked through plenty of puddles -half way up the boots and more-, and I couldn't detect any water getting it. The sewn in tongue comes up about half way. The grip is good on smooth slippery surfaces. Good size toe box that allows wriggling up an down, and lacing allows good adjustment.
Very supportive of ankles. The sole flex is to my liking for a boot. It's not like walking on a flat piece of wood strapped to your foot. They are much firmer than a pair of runners but bend well at the back of the toes.

I grabbed a down jacket too. I've not had a down jacket before, but I like the look and feel of it... black with a nice blue lining. Nice big pockets inside it. I was able to fit the whole jacket into one of its internal pockets.
It has a non-insulated nylon hood built into the collar.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I looked at the socks, Wildfire. The first pair had a pulled thread, so I picked up another pair and rubbed my thumb on them and loose threads appeared in then too. Decided to play safe and pass on them.

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Oh GReat! :) hahahaha I have had some different hiking socks from ALDI before and they were good @ $5 a pair im sure Ill get a couple of hikes outa them :) the boots sound good though!

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I did well.....Got my size 5 boots had to fight the scrum lol last pair, got 4pairs of socks (his and hers), got one thermal top and 2 Stretch knit hiking tops (1for me 1for him)...what scrum tho, sheeeesh! The tents and backpacks sold out, not that I was after some.

Mozz

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a pack, which seems OK and suits a very narrow waist too (its not for me, I don't need a narrow waist band).
Mrs A also picked up a down jacket, I think the fact it is warm and can be scrunched up into a very small pouch (and $40) appealed to her - good for a day pack etc. where space and weight is a premium.

... and a hike tent. I put it up in the livingroom (its pouring outside) and it looks well made. hopefully I can field test it soon ...

PS Last year we bought some of the ski socks, and we've been happy with them. I didn't look at the hike socks.

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
...a note on the boots, im returning them?, one of the lacing tabs broke, the material is not substantial at all,
bit of a shame its a nice boot ...unless I can get it fixed? not sure its worth it!
not even used them out hiking yet! had them on for a few hours Saturday..thought id wear them in today :-(

P1030129sml.jpg

mozz

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Not everything at Aldi is good quality :_s:
I have returned stuff from time to time either for poor workmanship or poor quality too.

Do you think it was just one bad stitching, or is that how its made (looks like its stitched at the end of a tab) ?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I got some socks and water bottle - not much left at my local Aldi by Sunday morning.
I have learnt that if you see something which you want, it pays to get there at opening time and grab it.

Sometimes the stuff goes in an instant, other times it can stay in-store for days or weeks ! Also the quantity available varies - sometimes lots, sometimes a little !

One strategy (depends where you live / work) is that different stores have different demographics, so even if one store sells out, another may still have stock ....

Craig M

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have learnt that if you see something which you want, it pays to get there at opening time and grab it.

Sometimes the stuff goes in an instant, other times it can stay in-store for days or weeks ! Also the quantity available varies - sometimes lots, sometimes a little !

One strategy (depends where you live / work) is that different stores have different demographics, so even if one store sells out, another may still have stock ....
Thanks for the tips Aussie - will give that a go next time. There are a couple of other stores nearby will check them out too.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Not everything at Aldi is good quality :_s:
I have returned stuff from time to time either for poor workmanship or poor quality too.

Do you think it was just one bad stitching, or is that how its made (looks like its stitched at the end of a tab) ?
yes Aussie I think the webbing has been left short and its pulled through :-(
i dont know if i can fix it as the stitching is now blind from the liner inside, unless i stitch in a new tab all the way through the boot, its up high, its not like I will make the boot leak.

Damn comfee boot for its price.

What I have done is thread the laces through the back section of that tab, seems to work, so if anyone has this same issue try this, it uses a bit more lace tho.

P1030130.jpg

i'll wear them around the office today and see how they go

mozz

just a note 5'2 me took my 6'2 OH to Aldi to push the scrum around, he said walking out of the store, "my god some of them woman were pushing me back lol"

we got there at doors open and there was a line up, it was like a boxing day sale time, pretty sad seeing humans push around like that :-/

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
...a note on the boots, im returning them?, one of the lacing tabs broke, the material is not substantial at all,
bit of a shame its a nice boot ...unless I can get it fixed? not sure its worth it!
not even used them out hiking yet! had them on for a few hours Saturday..thought id wear them in today :-(

View attachment 12133

mozz
I really hate it when stuff like this happens..

Is that thing "you get what you pay for" I guess.?? I got a pair of wild country hiking boots for $40 and the lasted like 5 bushwalks.I kicked for wasting that cash and swore never to buy a cheap outdoor brand like that again.

Often cheap gear often will cost you more in the long run but you do sometimes find a gem, just sometimes not often..

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I really hate it when stuff like this happens..

Is that thing "you get what you pay for" I guess.?? I got a pair of wild country hiking boots for $40 and the lasted like 5 bushwalks.I kicked for wasting that cash and swore never to buy a cheap outdoor brand like that again.

Often cheap gear often will cost you more in the long run but you do sometimes find a gem, just sometimes not often..
As a mates father used to tell us - "buy cheap, pay twice".

Unfortunately I haven't really followed his advice all my life and I've been caught out a few times. Saying that, it's the odd bargain that turns out to be a good result that keeps me on the look out :risatonaD:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
As a mates father used to tell us - "buy cheap, pay twice".

Unfortunately I haven't really followed his advice all my life and I've been caught out a few times. Saying that, it's the odd bargain that turns out to be a good result that keeps me on the look out :risatonaD:
Boots and pack take a lot of wear and stress....So I would try to get better brands name for those two bit of gear myself.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Aldi gear – dry bags, sleeping bags, fishing, etc - Sat 26 Oct 2013

Aldi are having yet another sale (Sat 26 Oct 2013) which includes some :

- dry bags (pack of 3 sizes)
- fishing gear
- solar lights
- self inflating mat
- sleeping bag (summer weight I think)
- family tent
.... and a few other bits and pieces.

I’m keen to have a look at the dry bags myself. They can be quite handy to put gear in for a day walk, hike, etc, and every walk we've been on of late has been either wet, raining or stormy !

Does anyone have experience with Aldi dry bags ?
$6.99 for a S/M/L 3 pack : “201T polyester with PVC coating”