Aldi sales

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Aldi are selling a Diamond Sharpening Block for $10 on 9 Feb 2013
DiamondSharpeningBlock.jpg

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_25407.htm?WT.mc_id=2013-02-04-05-19

I use sharpening stones and have never tried diamond “blocks” (I think its really 4 different “pads” mounted as a block)

Has anyone has used a diamond “block” ?
How durable are they ie how long will they last ?
What are your impressions ?

(No affiliation)

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
i bought this the last time they were flogging them. they have diamonds on four sides with different grit. for 10 bucks there not bad.

Arron The Archer

Walkabout
Reaction score
Aldi are selling a Diamond Sharpening Block for $10 on 9 Feb 2013
View attachment 9095

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_25407.htm?WT.mc_id=2013-02-04-05-19

I use sharpening stones and have never tried diamond “blocks” (I think its really 4 different “pads” mounted as a block)

Has anyone has used a diamond “block” ?
How durable are they ie how long will they last ?
What are your impressions ?

(No affiliation)
Aussie123 i have diamond sharpeners same kinda thing really an IMO diamond is great for flattening an removing chips etc it removes metal fast an keeps the blade edge flat
but after all that is done i always turn to my water stones to finish the edge as i've found they just can't be beaten for getting a nice clean super sharp edge
i have had my diamond plates for roughly 5years an year the are a little warn but still going strong they were also very cheap

so for metal removal for flattening new scandi's (as some are not truly flat when you first get them) an working chips out etc i'd say go for it mate they'll last years for that kind of
job but if you want your blades for wood carving etc my advise is get some good water stones if you don't have them already a 240/800 combo a 1000/3000 combo an a 3000/8000 combo is what i have along with course, medium an fine diamond plates

hope that helps Aussie123 sorry i drifted a bit away from diamonds just trying to help

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
For the price they are okay to use.
I tried one that my mate has, the base sorta rocks when I press and push a knife on it.
The one I tried come with 200-300-400 and 600 grits, the 600 grits is still pretty coarse.

Bernoulli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I agree with Gelandangan - 600 grit diamond is pretty coarse. The shipwrights I know http://www.jensenmotorboat.com/ use DMT and EZE-LAP stones, but making bits of wood to fit exactly is not the same as woodcarving. The $10 price is hard to beat, but I would look at it as something to sharpen garden tools with or re-profiling. I'd get one myself, but I don't have any room for more sharpening stuff.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had one of these for about 2 years....

Actually whilst they are cheap, they are good value and more than suitable for any rough work you don't want to mess up your good sharpening equipment with.

Sure there are tons of things better, but mine has paid for itself several times over.

Raven

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
I use a cheap set of flat diamond hones just like these but without the block and I get perfect shaving-sharp edges that work very well for carving. All you need to add is a leather strop and some buffing compound - I use Flexcut Gold as I got it with my carving gouges. I'd take the diamond over a regular stone any day.

downunderrunner

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
well, just picked one up, and on the 600 grit side, with about 30 seconds of work, my old mans sadly neglected opinel no 8 is back to shaving sharp! i'm impressed, but i have to say, i think it's still a bit heavy for general sharpening, but great on garden tools! a knackered pair of secaters is no back in service, and cutting very cleanly! time ill tell though about it's durabillity, as i've used cheapy diamond "stones" before and they just go to pot very rapidly, but at a tenner, i guess i can't complain!

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I picked one up too. As the others say, its is quite coarse, but sometimes that's a plus.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

I can see that it isn't a "complete" solution and one really needs a much finer stone for most jobs.

My approach to sharpening is to neglect it as much as possible ! We not quite, but I am a bit slack compared to some folk.
If you touch up your blades regularly, after “moderate” use, they only need a small amount of work with a fine stone (finer than these Aldi blocks I suspect).
But on blades which are more damaged, or old blades, I think it will be good.

PS I went about midday and there were still plenty at my local.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Aldi Camping sale - Saturday 23 March 2013

Aldi are having their camping sale (again)

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/offers_20130323.htm

Included on the list are:
Tents,
sleeping bags,
4 piece camping cookset,
wool blend socks,
jackets and
other stuff too....

Last year I bought some of the socks and I have been pleased with them.

Anyone who bought the 4 piece camping cookset last year ($25.99) - what are your thoughts after using it for a while ?

As a reference - here's a link to year's Aldi sale:
http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?2705-Camping-Cookware-Set-4pc-set-24-99

(No affiliation)

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the price of the assorted accessories :) A cheap shovel for $3. Works for me...

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Aldi are having their camping sale (again)

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/offers_20130323.htm
Anyone who bought the 4 piece camping cookset last year ($25.99) - what are your thoughts after using it for a while ?
yes I bought that 4pc cook set, used it a couple of times.

Great set all nests into one, handles fold away.
both pots great size.
not used the tea pot, its a bit rink-dinky small but ok for one, no good for 2 of us.
small pan perfect size for a pancake *yumm*

this set is for fuel or gas only IMO, we did note that on first heat up they pong a bit but fine after that.
they clean up quiet well, we leave them soak over night (we burnt our last pancake init), clean next morning and use.

set is a bit big for taking hiking, we take ours kayak/camping so its ideal.
Weight is not too bad...i'll go weigh mine and came back with info.

Mozzie

edit: weight 870g

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
yes I bought that 4pc cook set, used it a couple of times.

Great set all nests into one, handles fold away.
both pots great size.
not used the tea pot, its a bit rink-dinky small but ok for one, no good for 2 of us.
small pan perfect size for a pancake *yumm*

this set is for fuel or gas only IMO, we did note that on first heat up they pong a bit but fine after that.
they clean up quiet well, we leave them soak over night (we burnt our last pancake init), clean next morning and use.

set is a bit big for taking hiking, we take ours kayak/camping so its ideal.
Weight is not too bad...i'll go weigh mine and came back with info.

Mozzie

edit: weight 870g
Hi Mozzie,
Many thanks for the info. I was wondering about the size and weight too.

I'll probably go have a look anyway !
Thanks

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I bought the cook set too, and agree with much of what Mozzie said. I have not used the frypan or kettle but the the two pots are a good size for either one or two people respectively. I cook with a trench fire, so it's easy for me to protect the rubber handle grips from the heat. At $25 it's a bargain compared to some similar kits.

I plan to buy one of the heaters for my slide on camper, and my partner is interested in the jackets with the removable fleece lining.

New man

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
i was about to post this! looks like im beaten, ill be grabbing one of the $3 shovels, if you go to bcf the equivlent is $14 or some rubbish so maybe ill get 2 incase they dont last as long? hell if the handle breaks i guess i could wooden handle mod it...

anyone had one before?