Advantages of using a Copper Water Bottle. Purification.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The only downside I see to a copper water bottle is the softness of copper, I guess after a few years they would have tons of character though. I love the look of the copper quart pots that can be bought from some shops, I bet they would be great for brewing a pot of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The only downside I see to a copper water bottle is the softness of copper, I guess after a few years they would have tons of character though. I love the look of the copper quart pots that can be bought from some shops, I bet they would be great for brewing a pot of tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hudson Bay Kettle.jpg
This one is tin lined.
Keith.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Nice billycan and should last a lifetime. Not like the tin plated junk nowadays which rust out after a year no matter how much care is taken.

One such billycan I had started rusting when left only overnight with a little water in it.

Less than a year later chucked it into the bin.

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Nice billycan and should last a lifetime. Not like the tin plated junk nowadays which rust out after a year no matter how much care is taken.

One such billycan I had started rusting when left only overnight with a little water in it.

Less than a year later chucked it into the bin.
Yes mate, the only advantage of the tin billy is it's lightness compared to tinned copper or brass. I guess a stainless billy would be only a little heavier than a tin one & lighter than copper or brass. I too have found tin billy cans hanging on low dead branches in our forest with the bottoms rusted out. They must be very old though, no lids.
Keith.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The billy in question was actually an Australian made one from a company in Melbourne if I remember correctly, a few years back now.

Seems our manufacturers (what is left of them) have to cut corners for cost saving and compete with the flood of imported goods.

For lightweight bushwalking use aluminium cookware, for base camping mostly stainless steel which gives a long lifetime.

Sad to say, the traditional Aussie tinned billycan which would last for years if looked after has faded into the past.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The billy in question was actually an Australian made one from a company in Melbourne if I remember correctly, a few years back now.

Seems our manufacturers (what is left of them) have to cut corners for cost saving and compete with the flood of imported goods.

For lightweight bushwalking use aluminium cookware, for base camping mostly stainless steel which gives a long lifetime.

Sad to say, the traditional Aussie tinned billycan which would last for years if looked after has faded into the past.
A great pitty Chigger.
Keith.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi Keith, thanks for the info.
I be had. Pure copper (not industrial with arsenic to harden it) drinking Bottle on bench for past year. Can definitely taste and feel the difference. I just tip some of that water into a glass then top up with rain water.
Tastes great in Scotch too...

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Keith, thanks for the info.
I be had. Pure copper (not industrial with arsenic to harden it) drinking Bottle on bench for past year. Can definitely taste and feel the difference. I just tip some of that water into a glass then top up with rain water.
Tastes great in Scotch too...
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
Regards, Keith.