ADF Survival Manual 1987 .pdf

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
For all of those who want a copy of the Australian Military Survival Manual: MLW 3-2-7 Survival

This is the manual that Maj. Les Hiddins wrote for the ADF in 1987, and is still the latest edition.

http://www.cadetnet.gov.au/aac/unitsites/aachq-nt/ResourceArea/Publications/Pages/default.aspx

Scroll down until you see MLW 3-2-7 Survival, Right Click> Save Target As (as it won't open in some Browsers, but will download and open as a saved file)

Don't expect too much, it's pretty tame compared to the US Military Manuals... but it is Australian Specific information.

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Hey Karl by chance do you have another link I can't open or save the thing

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Karl
thanks for the link always great to find OZ specific information.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Thanx Templar
Also handy because of its size is the little government booklet "Stay Alive" that is small enough to include in a kit, has lots of reasonably good information and at a pinch the end papers can be used for tinder; may be worth waxing the end papers just in case.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Just read through it. except for the obvious military references it is almost exactly the same ( down to the illustrations and sketches ) as the booklet I mentioned, but expanded a little.

might be worth printing off
Note to self, buy a brass tube and some silicon aquarium tubing. needed to suck water out of shallow rock pools and deep rills in Tassie, also usefull to blow air into coals and a slow fire

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a bit of trouble getting to the doc, but eventually managed, via google docs.

Very nice to see an Oz survival guide, I didn't know that this existed until now.

GPPJ

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have an old booklet version of the BTM survival manual here somewhere and I could compare it to see if they have changed anything in ...28 years (omg, sad sigh)....if I can download it.

Bushdoc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Can't find it on the posted link.
Any updated sources, please?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Russ,

Interesting reading. Very surprised it says 25l (twenty five) litres of water per day per person for all purposes.