Bird Accipiter fasciatus (Brown Goshawk)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Brown Goshawk

Scientific name: Accipiter fasciatus

Family: Accipitridae

Order: Falconiformes

Other Names: N/A

Distribution: Australia mainland.

Habitat: found in most timbered habitats.

Field Notes: Medium-sized raptors. They have a brown head, slate-grey to brown upperparts with a red-brown collar across the upper nape of the neck, and finely barred underparts of red-brown with white. The rounded wings are dark brown to grey above and buff to reddish brown below with darker wingtips, and the long rounded tail is grey with dark bars. The long legs are yellow, with reddish brown feathering about the thighs. The eye is bright yellow. Males are smaller than females. Young birds have grey-brown eyes, with brown, streaky plumage. There are several subspecies. Size =37 - 56 cm

Photos by Auscraft, 2011. Gordanbrook Dam, QLD

View attachment 1793

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Not a great shot, but here is my only shot of a Brown Goshawk; taken at Kate Reed Recreation area near the Silverdome in Launceston, Tasmania.

View attachment 2473

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
This morning just before 0630 I was alerted something was wrong outside , went to investigate and to my surprise A brown Goshawk was perched ontop of Guinea fowl enclosure.

Went to get camera on return it was gone, a few minutes later saw a pair swooping the enclosure and took to a tree a couple of hundred metres away. Interesting observations were made about these birds, Unlike other prey birds they like perching in tree not on the tops. Another observation was all other species of birds while these birds were present flew to the highest and clearest trees even aerials around actively calling and watching. Minors actively searched tree to tree to find the prey birds and when found chased off.
I dare say Dusty will post a few pics of them when sorted .

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Unfortunately photos when loaded to site did not look good. Will wait to see if they reappear and try again.

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Since our last posts, the brown goshawks have been living around our fenceline. However we are no longer seeing the pair. I suspect the female may have a nest close by but we haven't found it yet. The solitary goshawk is extremely fast and erractic in flight. I spotted him high up in the backyard pine tree and auscraft got something decent. These pics were taken very late afternoon just after 5 pm.

Copy - DSC_8272.jpgCopy - DSC_8287.jpg
Looks light grey in flight and not a big bird compared to other birds of prey we usually see. If we can't hear or see other birds then we know it is around.

Copy - DSC_8314.jpgCopy - DSC_8312.jpg

Not the best photos, but does illustrate how camouflaged the goshawk becomes using the pepperina trees as a hide.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
They are beaut looking birds fella's.

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Auscraft got within 20 metres of the brown goshawk living in our yard. He noticed other birds didn't take off in alarm this time. This means we can no longer rely on the other birds to let us know when he is around. Photos taken just hour ago.

Copy(2) - DSC_0211.jpg

Distinctives features that separate this bird from the similar appearance of the collared sparrowhawk is the long frowning ridge over eyes without a long middle toe and larger in size.

Copy - DSC_0238.jpg

Appearance when perched has a slightly hunched stance with wing tip well short of tail tip, long legs. Prefers concealed perches.

Copy - DSC_0241_01.jpgCopy - DSC_0240.jpg

Top photos of active flight which is deep rapid wing beats followed by glides. Wingspan up to 1 metre.

Copy - DSC_0197.jpg
The tail in flight is long and well rounded. Collared sparrowhawk will be square.

Reference
Queenland Museum (2007). Raptors of South East Queensland

Last edited:

Eugenio Coscarelli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Reference The Field Guide to the Birds of Australia by Pizzey & Knight (Eighth Edition 2007) p136

Singles, pairs: flies heavily with quick wingbeats and glides on broad, slightly arched wings; note longish rounded tail. Slips through trees, along hrdges, to surprise prey; ambushes from cover. Aggressive when nesting. In sunny weather, soars high on slightly upswept wings with straight trailing edge, tail fanned.

Habitat: open forests, woodlands, scrublands and margins; farmlands, golf courses, sewage farms, parks, gardens.
Breeds: September to December
Nest: flattish; of sticks, lined with green leaves; 6-20 metres up in living tree; mistletoe-clump, or old nest of other raptor.
Eggs: 2-4; plain blue-white, faintly blotched red-brown.

Last edited:

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Around lunch time yestersday our guinea fowl were incessantly sounding their "machine-gunlike" alarm call. Heard it in the kitchen and raced out. The hawk was right behind the chook cage on the ground. He saw me first as had just lifted off. Today he kept his distance. I noticed a couple of rabbit holes where he was. We have plenty of rabbit around which will be easy pickings for him. We are keeping our ducklings under close supervision when let out for their swim. They are sizeable now but very light.

Eugenio's sources states breeding September to December. I noticed Australia Museum mentions anywhere from July-Dec. We haven't seen the second bird since our first sighting. However we have plenty of eucalyptus trees around with old nests. Makes for interesting future observations if he calls our place home. (I am assuming it is a him for now).

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Brown-Goshawk

Eugenio Coscarelli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Depending on the source depends on the information provided. There are many and it is up to the individual what data they wish to retrieve and retain for their own use. Dependent on locality may also vary from that provided such as breeding as an example. That is why we should act as citizen scientists and inform the professionals so the information is more accurate. I have grave concerns with distribution maps for mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates as their distribution is not as well known as birds - ie Australian Bird Atlas by RAOU. Thankfully this is being rectified in some way by people contributing to the Atlas of Living Australia,anyone can contribute and it is backed by CSIRO.

Here are some more reliable links for the Brown Goshawk

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Accipiter-fasciatus
http://www.aviceda.org/abid/birdimages.php?action=birdspecies&fid=42&bid=577
http://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/brown-goshawk

Thanks for reading

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great stuff Eugenio. Climate aswell as locality could be an influence for breeding. We are warmer up here. However birds will move if weather conditions are not favourable e.g. flooding in their territory washing away food source. I use websites as guidelines. Nothing is going to be perfect, always variables involved.

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I think brown goshawk has moved on from our backyard. Haven't seen it for a couple of weeks. It was great while it lasted:)

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Good news, goshawk hasn't moved on. He is living in the property behind us. We see him time to time flying around the back of our place. Alot of prey birds around now, winter is on and they are all looking for food.