Above Hobart

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
In the 2nd picture back, those are dolerite columns. They were initially much longer and larger; they have broken down. Apparently Tasmania has the biggest exposure of dolerite. This is a picture of a boulder field. If you bush walk here you will often come across these. They are broken down dolerite columns. It's very grippy rock when it is dry.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
My walking buddies for the day. This is a track through a boulder field. It's below Mt Wellington; there has been a lot of work on this track. You can see where the girls are walking that it is flat - not natural. Other boulder fields are not modified like this, but still easy to cross. I was using unmodified boulder fields as physio recovery for a badly smashed foot and ankle - something that can't be replicated.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I'm trying to post photographs of the different bush type areas around here. I suspect this is plantation. I haven't bothered to try and identify the type of eucalypt these are - but I don't think I've seen many stands like this where they are so dominant. About an hour NNE of hobart, on our way to Brown Mtn via Coal valley.