Above Hobart

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The first picture is from Collin's Bonnet. If you know Hobart you can see Bowen bridge and the zinc works to the right. The second is a fellow walker on top of Platform Peak. Both these places are probably within 20km of Hobart. In the first picture you can see the Derwent river and one of the outer burbs. It will be around 0 degrees C. It's not as high as Mt Wellington, which today has a max of 0. If there is wind - whoa, then it's really cold. No wind, you still get warm, especially going up. Compared to other places I've lived, it is very easy to go bush here.

Attachments

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Some more. This is from a walk that started from Cascade Brewery in South Hobart. A big circular circuit of about 20km going half way up Mt Wellington (the Springs), checking out most of the falls in the area. Mostly up or down, not much flat stuff :D

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Good stuff Randall. Interesting terrain
yes, I thought it might be a bit different to what you guys have. Most places here are rocky - all those rain foresty shots, you couldn't put a shovel down anywhere. If trees uproot they're always hanging onto rocks.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Bloke in the middle of the frame in the last shot doesn’t have the initials AW by any chance? If not he is a dead ringer for a colleague in WA.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Bloke in the middle of the frame in the last shot doesn’t have the initials AW by any chance? If not he is a dead ringer for a colleague in WA.
I'm hopeless with names. I was talking to him. I'll ask when I see him again. He's fairly quiet and reasonably on the ball with navigation - good map memory and good overview track memory.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thought I'll keep going, just to show the different country. This shot is taken in the knocklofty reserve - it's only about 30 mins walk from Nth Hobart. There are trails all over the place - I used to ride mtb here when my partner lived nearby here. Awesome hills. Also, from here you have a huge area of bush available - you can hike up to Mt Wellington and beyond. There was a fire through this area in May.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Thanks Thrud. That last location - it really is awesome. I've walked there twice now, and the colors are the best anywhere. Through winter of course - no haze. A lot of it is on private property (sheep farm); but a couple of the club members are locals and get permission.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
how crisp do some of them vista shots look, pretty stunning. Thanks for sharing a few snaps from your trip Randall (y)(y)

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Yes, winter is the time for crisp shots. The sun is a bonus, and being close to the sea is mild.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Organ pipes track, not far from the Chalet. As you can see, a major thoroughfare. Lost world is below that peak ahead and to the right. I climbed up to lost world, after dropping down for a km from this point. The climb up to Lost world was pretty scary - ice and snow on the rock climbs which are normally fun when it is dry. Right of here there is a view of the Derwent river and the suburbs of Hobart.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I thought you guys might be interested in this, the Aurora Australis. It is berthed in Sullivan's Cove (Hobart) for most of the year. It is used (chartered) by the Australian Antarctic Division. I was nearby for the sunrise, then went up the mountain and walked from Ferntree to Lost World and back. Awesome day. The photo above is from later on in the day.

Last edited: