BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aboriginal Use of Fungi

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
That was very interesting. Thanks. Have to add that book to the wish list.

Dutchy357

Les Stroud
Reaction score
That was very interesting. Thanks. Have to add that book to the wish list.

Unfortunately the copies I can find for sale are very expensive, however I have been able to track it down through the Library system and I am currently waiting for the copy that my local library has requested to arrive.

If its really useful, then I will seriously consider buying it.

Regards Dutchy

Toddy

Les Stroud
Reaction score
That article was an interesting read :)
It mentions that fomes fomentarius and piptoporus betulina are used as fire carrying by the Aborigines; we use them for the same reason here too; so the method I wrote of on another thread about making Amadou is relevant to Australian native species too.
Good stuff :)

Toddy

Scrubby

Russell Coight
Reaction score
That is great information, I am currently collecting information on all Australian Fungi to make a handbook that is state specific and comprehensively covers our native & introduced edible & non-edible fungi. I would be most appreciative if anyone out there wants to help contribute to this book with their local information and mycology reports.

Scrubby

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Anyone keen to put their mushy knowledge on the line and identify all 5?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Here is my guess for some; image 1 Coprinus comatus, image 2 Ganoderma Australe, 3 ?, 4 Ganoderma lucidum, 5 ?

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
(Mods please feel free to correct me)

Scrubby, you should probably expand on your plans with the fungi book before anyone here jumps in to contribute...

I'm just thinking out aloud here, but something as potentially dangerous as fungi identification should be done by some sort of professional if it's to be relied upon by your readers. It would be like me writing a how to rock climb book, people could possibly die because of it. So, do you have a professional on board who will provide concrete ID's and be able to vet our reports to ensure accuracy?

I know it sounds a little safety-sally-ish but being a new member it's hard, for me at least, to gauge your experience and exactly where you are going with your posts. For example, and I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but you are writing a fungi ID book and some random person on a forum with unknown qualifications has just been able to ID your photos, when one would expect you would or should already have information at your disposal (books, online resources, etc) to do the same and instead enlighten us.

We have a plant and animal database on the forum which could have had 5 either new or updated entries with your photos with some nice information from you with your fungi experience which would have been a shining example for people to then gain interest in contributing to your endeavours.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Anyone keen to put their mushy knowledge on the line and identify all 5?

I would expect if you are serious about getting positive Id's of any plant, fungi or wildlife you would include some details like location which pics were taken also type of vegetation it was found in and more than one pic showing deferent angles and areas of the said item.

I also agree with what AussiePreppers suggests

Enigma1

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts. Unfortunately, a single photograph from above, is not enough info, to seriously ID a speciman. For instance, to me, number 5 looks like a mature Cortinarius cinnabarinus, but I could be entirely wrong. 3 reminds me of Volvariella speciosa, but your image looks like it has white gills? Single photo's are quite frustrating to ID.

1. Coprinus comatus

2. Piptoporus portentosus

3. Volvariella speciosa

4 Fomitopsis lilacinogilva
2mfx8xe.jpg

5. Cortinarius cinnabarinus