BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aboriginal toxic food processing methods

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Wild Food Disclosure - MustRead
By reading, registering or participating on this forum you hereby agree to the following statements.

The information provided on the bushcraftOz forum relating to the consumption of edible plants and animals is for information purposes only.

BushcraftOz and it's staff does not take any responsibility for any ill effects as a result of consuming or in any way interacting with any plants or animals as a result of reading this forum. Any readers who interact with or consume wild food do so at their own risk.

Australia contains many species of highly poisonous plants and animals which can result in severe sickness and in many cases even death. The information on this forum has not been verified and readers should use their own initiative to research and seek qualified expert advice.

Many plant foods the Aboriginal people ate are Toxic to highly toxic in nature. Aborigines had developed a method for treating these seeds to remove the poison and render them nutritious (if not pretty bland) starchy contents into edible food.

Below are the general methods of processing these foods, The trick to it is knowing which one or all to use in treating what foods.in researching bushtucker many books and info only tell you the plant/seed is poisonous, This info is not enough to to assure your safety.
Warning: Please before trying any foods research yourself on the correct methods that are required to make foods safe.

The general method of processing these toxic seeds was:
  • Cooking - The seeds were cooked, most commonly by steaming in an earth oven , but sometimes by roasting in the ash of an open fire.
  • Grating - The cooked seeds were then ground or grated using grooved stone graters or, finely sliced with a forest-snail shell to produce a coarse meal.
  • Leaching - The meal from the cooked seeds was then put in fine-mesh bags and soaked in running water for 1 to 4 days depending on species. some required 3-4 days leaching. This step was essential to remove the bitter poison from the seeds.
  • Use - The leached coarse meal was then occasionally formed into loaves and baked on hot stones as johnny cakes. More commonly it was eaten without further cooking as a wet meal - rather like rice pudding in texture.
NOTE: the above methods are for Toxic food processing. The processing of the other foods did vary from the above list and is another thread to be done.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Has anyone found other than the above mention treatment for toxic foods any information relating to specific ashes/timber to cook specific toxic foods.
I ask as I have found some references but not sure if it is a belief or proven scientific fact

CSGSurvival

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have not heard of using certain timbers to do this sort of stuff however I could imagin people saying don't use certain ones because they release toxic fumes. IE. paper bark fumes/oils might effect the poisons already present in the seeds.

I don't really know, but it was just a thought.