A tree fungi

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Saw this fungi whilst out on a day walk, I do not know what sort it is. Quite attractive.

Fungus1 RESIZED.JPG

Another photo from the underside using flash.

Fungus2 RESIZED.JPG

Fungi on trees are getting rather hard to find, think the long drought is not helping them to grow.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Saw this fungi whilst out on a day walk, I do not know what sort it is. Quite attractive.

Another photo from the underside using flash.

Fungi on trees are getting rather hard to find, think the long drought is not helping them to grow.
This looks as though it could be a polypore Chigger. Excellent tinder for flint,steel & tinderbox fire lighting. Possibly Ryvardenia Cretacea, but to me these polypores all look much the same. The main thing is that you recognise it when you see it.
Well spotted Chigger.
Keith.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
They certainly make first class tinder and did harvest a large one which was growing on a tree right beside a road I travel. Its flint spark catching capabilities are really excellent and combusts readily.

Made no attempt to disturb this one as seems a rather immature one, not that large. So left it to grow and as remarked, in this dry drought there are not many about and already have one for my uses.

As well was lucky to get oddles of soft punkwood from a rotting tree trunk which I found at a riverside campsite. Have two or three feed bags of the stuff so for tinder have ample supplies for years to come.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
This looks as though it could be a polypore Chigger. Excellent tinder for flint,steel & tinderbox fire lighting. Possibly Ryvardenia Cretacea, but to me these polypores all look much the same. The main thing is that you recognise it when you see it.
Well spotted Chigger.
Keith.
View attachment 26239View attachment 26240

So are you saying you strike a fire steel on the dried fungi & it with go up in flames, or does one have to break it up first?