A Tracking Journey

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have been tracking, as most of us have in some form or other since a kid. I remember getting a pair of Clark's school shoes which had animal tracks on the bottom way back in the late 60s. Over the last few years I have been reading a lot more about tracking and practicing. I made a cheap tracking pole/stick out of dowelling from Bunnings. It has cable ties and O rings to allow markings to be set for whatever I want to measure. In the photos the red cable ties are used for heel width, but obviously could be used for anything. Usually it's the heel you detect, so that's what I use. Other measurements are the length of stride, either measured toe to toe or heel to heel. I have a compass and a whistle attached to the stick.

Light is very important and on overcast days or when the light is overhead the use of a torch can help detect the subtleties in the print. For some reason the green seems to work very well. It may be psychological, but for those of you that shoot targets, if you stare at something green after lining up on the target, then look down the sights again, the image is sharper.

I try to do some form of tracking very time I walk the expert tracker.

The area I use has gravel then sand then an area covered pine needles, but still slightly sandy. There is one way out so I can "jump track" if necessary.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg6a.jpg6b.jpg7a.jpg7b.jpg8a.jpg8b.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Very interesting Thrud. By the way you just triggered a long buried memory of my Bata scout school shoes with the hidden
compass.