A terrible story and stretchers for sleeping

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Howdy. Since I met my partner and moved in together we've been renting my place out. Two tenants, not long here from the mainland, highly recommended by all our friends, likable fellows. One year later an ice problem, police believe they are responsible for the huge increase in burglaries, shed breakins, car thefts (it's a rural area), and have been watching this place and these boys like hawks. Of course, all their previous friends have dropped off and we're left with the problem. It has taken a couple of months to go through the eviction process. Crime brothers have done this before and knew the drill and non rental payment and eviction - they were spouting the law to us the whole time. They're now out. I'm down 3 motorbikes, a huge walk behind slasher, tools etc, (stored in a shed here) and anything of value from the house (oven, induction hot plates, heater, fridge). I won't be able to afford bikes like that again, luckily I find mtb pretty satisfying.

The house is really bad. They had a big dog that they'd leave here locked inside. It was forced to piss on one room. The smell was incredible. The whole place hasn't been cleaned or looked after for a long time. Grass over my head. I had been slashing the block but didn't want to make around the house any more comfortable for them.

So, we've been staying here and using these stretchers that we had, from anaconda. They are very light, quick and easy to fold, and surprisingly comfortable. I haven't had a sore back in the mornings like I usually do with a normal bed. We've been using those self inflating hiking mattresses with them. They were cheap - bought them years ago.

If you want to sleep off the ground I recommend them. I'm sure there are lots of good brands and makes, but I can recommend these. They are spinifex brand.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Howdy. Since I met my partner and moved in together we've been renting my place out. Two tenants, not long here from the mainland, highly recommended by all our friends, likable fellows. One year later an ice problem, police believe they are responsible for the huge increase in burglaries, shed breakins, car thefts (it's a rural area), and have been watching this place and these boys like hawks. Of course, all their previous friends have dropped off and we're left with the problem. It has taken a couple of months to go through the eviction process. Crime brothers have done this before and knew the drill and non rental payment and eviction - they were spouting the law to us the whole time. They're now out. I'm down 3 motorbikes, a huge walk behind slasher, tools etc, (stored in a shed here) and anything of value from the house (oven, induction hot plates, heater, fridge). I won't be able to afford bikes like that again, luckily I find mtb pretty satisfying.

The house is really bad. They had a big dog that they'd leave here locked inside. It was forced to piss on one room. The smell was incredible. The whole place hasn't been cleaned or looked after for a long time. Grass over my head. I had been slashing the block but didn't want to make around the house any more comfortable for them.

So, we've been staying here and using these stretchers that we had, from anaconda. They are very light, quick and easy to fold, and surprisingly comfortable. I haven't had a sore back in the mornings like I usually do with a normal bed. We've been using those self inflating hiking mattresses with them. They were cheap - bought them years ago.

If you want to sleep off the ground I recommend them. I'm sure there are lots of good brands and makes, but I can recommend these. They are spinifex brand.

View attachment 26824
Sounds to me as though you need to re think your definition of a friend! You have been badly let down & misinformed!
Keith.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Gee's mate , bloody bad luck . I really can't work out these sorts of arseholes . Anyway , I've been thinking about stretchers from my army days , thanks for the heads up.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Bad luck with your tenants, what lowlifers for sure and a pity the cops did not catch up with them.

Thanks for the tips on stretchers, some of the stretchers I have had in the past have been more comfortable than a bed. A inflatable sleeping mat helps as well.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I am appalled that the scourge of drugs has impacted you in this way. It seems very unfair that you do the right thing and this is the result. I admire the fact that you can take this adversity and use it to help inform the bushcraft Oz forum. I hope that you get a swift resolution to your problem.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Sounds to me as though you need to re think your definition of a friend! You have been badly let down & misinformed!
Keith.
For sure Keith. They were charming fellows, very affable and genuine, or so it seemed. They sucked everyone in. I don't think they were necessarily crooks from the beginning, although their parents, we've found, have quite a history. Things went south in a hurry with the advent of ice. They lost their jobs, their friends, etc etc. This sort of thing was new to me, but apparently it is a pretty common scenario when ice comes into the equation. Morals and ethics go out the window, everyone is fair game (elderly, female, former close friends, family). It's a terrible thing, and the scale of it scares me. I've been living in ignorance. When I lived here, for four years I never had a key - motorbikes and all. We went to Thailand for a month - everything unlocked. I can't even imagine that now. Life has changed.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
That Bloody Ice gets alot of them these days, My best mate is stuffed up on it too, I haven't seen him for over a year now.... destroys lives. Very sad.
Thanks for the info on the stretches, looking at getting the bunk bed stretchers for my two young sons (4 and 6 YO) when we go on our family camping trips..... I was a little worried about comfort, But i think you have convinced me.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yep, that crap is going on in NZ big time.
It is known as "P" here, short for pure (nothing pure about the shit that it is made with)
As retired Prison Officer, I saw the results of the physical effects directly.
Nasty soul and physical destruction over years which most will never recover from.
It is actually cheaper and easier to access than Cannabis in most areas.
The sooner Cannabis is decriminalised, the better in my opinion.
It will allow the Police to funnel resources into stomping on P the gangs are distributing.
Ex. Is a Detective so She sees the direct effects in Families.
Nasty stuff...

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yep, that crap is going on in NZ big time.
It is known as "P" here, short for pure (nothing pure about the shit that it is made with)
As retired Prison Officer, I saw the results of the physical effects directly.
Nasty soul and physical destruction over years which most will never recover from.
It is actually cheaper and easier to access than Cannabis in most areas.
The sooner Cannabis is decriminalised, the better in my opinion.
It will allow the Police to funnel resources into stomping on P the gangs are distributing.
Ex. Is a Detective so She sees the direct effects in Families.
Nasty stuff...
Yeah, Its been in my area for many years now. It stuffs up the next generation too, All these kids that have grown up with a ice junky parent, they are gunna be affected long term also. A good mate i grew up (high school days) had an ice junky for a old girl, She would spend up all the cash in the house, My poor mate would never even have lunch for school, He would only get fed 1 meal a day, at dinner time and it was bloody something like toasted cheese sandwiches or 2 min noodles, MY folks seen all this going on and tried to help where they could, My old lady would pask an extra lunch for him, and used to invite him around friday night for dinner and send him home with all the left overs.... And when the bloke got to 18 unfortunately he took his life.....
Tbh now i got my own kids.... It almost brings a tear to my eye to think about what old mate went though as a kid... Poor bugger. It still kills me to imagine the thought he must have had running through his head..... His life was really heavly affectded by the drug and he never even touched ice.... Don't do it, Its just not worth it Boys....

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Actually, I had a run in with the whole family of these two brothers. Mum, dad, the brothers and their 9 year old niece. These exact same people were all involved in what was taken from the house - we know this. Even the 9yo. They rolled up not expecting to see me there - I wouldn't let them down to the house, of course. They were all going ballistic like rabbid dogs, except for the 9yo sitting quietly in the front seat. I was just looking at her, thinking "I'm not going to contribute to this", so I just stood silently, barring their way. The father has a record; a real piece of work. One of my bikes was found in their mother's house, transported there by their father. One of the boys has been charged, and the family has since fallen apart. There wasn't much there holding them together other than convenience. I've stood their threats and outed them on FB, which resulted in a lot of attention from previous victims. Things were hairy for a while - I was camped in the open doorway of the house and rehearsed jumping into action. Traps set up around the place each night. They'd tried several times to find the place empty so that they could do mischief (they'd been threatening to burn the place down). I'd always made the place look empty (car in the shed, no lights left on) to keep them guessing. I gave them a couple of frights, and got to within 5m one night (can't run with a gammy ankle); they burned rubber in false bravado as they took off. Sorry to say fellas, most of them are now back on the mainland.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on the stretcher beds, i had been looking at the helinox ones but you need to take out a small loan for them.

sorry about your miss adventure with tenants, i have had a similar story with my townhouse, not as bad as yours and no drugs involved but i found out that 6 people were living in mine and not just a single dad and his two boys, it was 4 kids from hell, he was subletting ... had to repaint all the walls and the ceilings as there were soccer ball marks every where and feet marks up walls, kitchen left disgusting along with bathroom, they knew the drill it was hard to boot them out. got them out sold the home lol

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up on the stretcher beds, i had been looking at the helinox ones but you need to take out a small loan for them.

sorry about your miss adventure with tenants, i have had a similar story with my townhouse, not as bad as yours and no drugs involved but i found out that 6 people were living in mine and not just a single dad and his two boys, it was 4 kids from hell, he was subletting ... had to repaint all the walls and the ceilings as there were soccer ball marks every where and feet marks up walls, kitchen left disgusting along with bathroom, they knew the drill it was hard to boot them out. got them out sold the home lol
Yep, almost the same scenario with my rental property.
Used a Property Manager(ess) who seemed to think that bullet holes in the walls was fair wear and tear !
They had references, supposedly, hmmm.
When they had departed, I repainted entire house, (Again)
Then sold it.
Can't be bothered with rentals anymore.
There is now a chronic shortage of rental properties in NZ.
I wonder why ?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same here in Aus. People carry on about the benefits of negative gearing and how it is a gold mine for anyone who is interested. Each time we've moved (sold and bought again), some of the houses we've looked at have been ex rentals. I knew it wasn't a way to make money before I rented this place out. I was just biding time till the market changed so that I could sell. Of course, if I had of known this I would have sold and not rented; but that is a throw away statement :LOL: