A sunny night..

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Another quick solo.
Managed to get bogged in a RWD.
Apart from deflating tires, tried to dig it out, but couldn't so rescued by a tractor.
Most of the pics were taken at 1-1.30am today.
Saw Charlie, but he saw me at the same time.
22 degrees at midnight, so no tarp or underquilt and used the Carinthia Eagle bag and a shemagh.
Saw the Eastern barn owl, difficult to miss as they make a screech on and on and on.
The roo hopped up to 3m of where I was standing and had the fright of its life when I suggest it move.
Got some Quandong and even better after being rescued by the farmer got a cooked breakfast and Quandong jam!!
As you can see from the pics,
Forgot my spoon again...

Attachments

Last edited:

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Sounds like a cracker Thrud. What would you have done if the farmer (or more specifically his tractor) wasn't as easily accessible? Could you have tried jacking up the car to get a board or log fully under the tyres? Looks like you'd have to have the jack on a solid base... going to look into the quandong a bit more. Not a native to the ACT by the look of it but I might look into whether I can grow one in this climate.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Lever. I've parked in that spot twice before, but never after it has been hot; I have no off-road skills apart from what I have read and watched. The next thing I would have tried would be tire deflation and cutting down some fresh foliage. I had a gonk mat in the car and would have tried that.
I would have waited a few hours though as this happened when it was mid arvo and the temp was 36, I drank 2l of water and had a Cold steel shovel with me.
I tried forward and reverse, but only for a couple of seconds.
The next morning I walked back to the site to find the cover of the shovel, which I had inadvertently buried!
If anyone knows of other self rescue techniques for rwd vehicles, please post!

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Easy to get bogged in the sand and can be a labourious task digging yourself out. Thanks for the photos.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you can clear in front and behind the wheel that is bogged, rocking the vehicle will often getting it out. Meaning selecting either forward or reverse only applying a small amount of accelerator and then releasing and allowing vehicle to roll back into bog. If you do this for a while you will usually manage to keep increasing the distance the vehicle makes it out of the bog until you can simply drive out.
Most important thing to do when trying to get out, avoid wheel spin.