A Remote Stove

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
No ! A remote stove is not one which you use in the outback.

A remote stove is one where the gas canister is "remote" from the actual stove itself.

Yes, its one of the many toys I've fancied and I finally got around to finding a cheapie (well under $20) and testing it out.

There are a couple of things I like about remote stoves:
- They keep the cooking setup low - less chance of tipping, esp with wide fry pans or when stiring
- Easy to shield from wind - a wind shield fits very snugly
- More stable (because of the above) - low center of gravity
- Low risk of overheating the canister - wind shielding a canister stove can result in heat reflecting back to the canister and heating it up

I've taken the stove on a couple of trips and it performs well, on the weekend it was howling wind, so I thought it would be good to get it out again.
My only criticism is that it does guzzle fuel, but I if yo check the btu rating, that's to be expected.

Here it is. Its quite small, but you need to be cautious not to crush the hose when packing:
20180729_130317 (Medium).jpg

With legs and supports extended:
20180729_130409 (Medium).jpg

Setup with wind shield, ready to go:
20180729_130812 (Medium).jpg 20180729_130819 (Medium).jpg

Well shielded and very stable:
20180729_131400 (Medium).jpg

Ready for a cuppa:
20180729_131432 (Medium).jpg

Oldnslow

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
The idea is sound.
What you said about guzzling gas can be of concern.

I like the idea of metho stoves as the bottle is refillable.

I've seen these advertised on Ebay.
Photos are two variations both look like a good idea.

Has anyone used similar?

Attachments

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The idea is sound.

Has anyone used similar?
Have not seen the ones in your photos which appear to be liquid fuel with a pressure pump for ease of starting. Have seen bushwalkers in alpine areas with these multifuel MSR stoves which have a good reputation.

https://www.paddypallin.com.au/nsearch/?q=msr+stove

Not cheap but with care will last for many years and parts are readily available for MSR stoves.

Metho stoves like the well known Trangia are very simple to use and two blokes I knew used them.

With liquid fuel stoves they can be readily refilled when fuel runs out or gets low and are very economical to run.

My old Svea 123 which is a shellite fueled stove will do a weekends cooking and boiling on one tank of fuel.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
The idea is sound.

Has anyone used similar?
I can highly recommend the MSR Whisperlite international, I’ve had one for nearly 11 years and its accompanied me all over the middle east and Africa while contracting...still going strong. An excellent stove when your fuel sources are varied (can run off shellite, kerosene, petrol, diesel and avgas) or in very cold weather. Only downside is weight compared to gas stoves

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks great Aussie.
We picked up a remote cannister stove (Optimus Nova) a couple of years ago and it's been excellent. We use it for proper cooking and the jetboil for trips where we're just boiling water.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have the "remote" attachement that fits the Trangia, bought it when on special at Anaconda. Works well enough.

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The first stove I purchased years ago when I got in to hiking was a Kovea Moonwalker, a remote stove. Not sure why I stopped using it, I still have it, but guess I prefer a jetboil for its all in one style and also I usually cook on open fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have an old Primus Omnifuel, which will run on anything including gas canisters. It’s very reliable I have had it for almost 20 years and is still works as well as the day I bought it. Not the lightest stove around but even the pump is machined aluminium with all parts made of brass or stainless steel. I think it cost me over $300 back then, I remember it being more than half of my pay but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Was not aware of the Primus Omnifuel so looked it up and is a most versatile stove. The only one I have seen that will not only run on liquid fuels and even gas canisters as well. Very good quality device and would last a lifetime.

Not cheap but well worth it for sure.

A link for those interested: https://primus.us/products/omnifuel-stove?variant=17262642437

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi Aussie,

Nice little score! I am yet to try a gas unit yet, using wood and a (Trangia) spirit stove. As the saying goes, 'now your cooking with gas!' I like the USGI Canteen Cup too.

Cheers and Peace,
Edward

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Aussie,

Nice little score! I am yet to try a gas unit yet, using wood and a (Trangia) spirit stove. As the saying goes, 'now your cooking with gas!' I like the USGI Canteen Cup too.

Cheers and Peace,
Edward
I have lots of stoves and enjoy them all, hexe, metho, trangia, wood, butane, propane ...

Like I say, this is nice and low and stable for a (gas) hiking stove. I bought it along on a car camp and it did a really good job sitting on a table with a full size fry pan.

Horses for courses ... or 3 courses : entree, mains and dessert if you want a full meal !

Oldnslow

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
So I decided a couple of stoves for the car were in order.
A Coleman, damn that thing is quick.

And an Optimus 8R clone from Russia.
Works well and could be an ok (but heavy) stove for a backpack.

Both run on shellite.

DSCN9634 (Copy).jpgDSCN9633 (Copy).jpg