A page from a diary

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have these notepads. I was looking for a blank page in one, and found that it was a pad that I took on an extended walk in the SW of Tassie. I had been keeping note of some of our days, which I don't usually do. It's amazing what you forget in a short time. Anyway, one small page:

"These people really are tough. They're not just bushwalkers, they really are a special group. I was nursing them through some rocks yesterday thinking they'd lost their nerve. Lots of hard dangerous rock climbing with full packs. It was blowing a blizzard with driving rain which makes it really hard when you're jumping across space from one wet rock to another. After days of this all our fingers are bleeding from the dolerite - our gloves worn out at the tips very quickly. I'm in my element with the rocks. But earlier today we climbed Paddy's nut, and I was bordering on scared; they seemed comfortable. Then they chose to climb down the side of a near precipitous saddle. I was controlling my fear and just telling myself "all I have to do is follow". I asked them how this compares to Federation peak? They all agreed Federation was a doddle compared to what we were doing and had done".

This was before I'd done Federation myself.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Don't let people push you where you don't feel comfortable, testing your own limits is fine, but not being pushed. I did a guiding course run by TAFE one time, it was badly organised, the so called trainer was a moron, & the places he took these pilgrims were often very dangerous & totally unjustified. Use common sense & trust your own judgement.
Keith.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This was good; but thanks Le Loup. I was surprised that trip how each of us came to the fore. It was a trip of extremes and just happened to coincide with the worst weather on the west coast for years. Each of us would be close to our mental limit only to be taken over by someone else all with no words. We were off track for 4 days, limited visibility, and the bad weather just never let up. It was the leading / navigating / route finding that took the toll - being responsible for the group knowing everyone was fatigued and close to their limits. It was actually a relief for each of us to let someone else take over. Personally I love navigation and it says a lot for the others I was with - they were all good. Kind of like a flying V formation of birds; the lead birds would pull out to the side and join in at the back of the formation after a time. We're a small group that have done a lot together and similar type walks - they're peak baggers, I'm not.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
My companions would be very tough eating šŸ˜‚