A package from Corin

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I answered the door this morning to a courier.
When I saw the senders address I thought I knew what was inside, and waited just until the door was closed to rip into the plastic bag.
This is what I found inside.

The knife with the pink lanyard is a carbon steel Sabatier and the blade below is the one Corin just made for me using a HSS hacksaw blade.
I have been in the yard trying it out already.
This thing is wickedly sharp as is, sharp edges don't scare me and I think I can polish the edge of this with my Spiderco ceramic stone just a tad sharper, but as it is it shaves Redgum; Jarra; demolishes pine, and old apple wood stump and takes hair from my arm afterwards.
Reasonable balance and good weight in the hand.
Not only am I pleased with the results but I am seriously impressed with Corins skills.
Corin I want another one please.

Attachments

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad they arrived safe! The last one I sent via courier ended up wedged behind a screen door of a derelict house across the road from the intended recipient Did the walking stick go together ok?

I will send a PM in the next few days regarding making another. In the mean time draw up exactly what you want, to scale, including lanyard holes and any other extras. If you want something special with the Ricasso, choil, grind mark it on there too.
If I make it I will make it exactly the same size and shape as your drawing just as I did with this one.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
OK, I will think about exactly what size I need.
This one is so close to perfect though that there would be only very minor size changes. I need to bake birthday cakes and other stuff for SWMBO before I get to play with my walking stick so those photos will be a week or two.
We must have similar sized hands as the finger groove is in exactly the right place, every knife is different and the balance of this is very good buy biased towards the handle which I confess I prefer for close work.
if the blade was cut to the depth of the saw blade I think it may even out to be balanced at the ricasso.
This is one very good bushcraft knife, very old fashioned in shape which I really like

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Great knife. I only saw it as a blade, looks pretty amazing with the scales on. What style sheath will you go for?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
No thoughts on a sheath yet.
I'm no leather worker and I worry about acids in the tanning doing damage to the steel so probably webbing and fabric or Kydex.
I haven't even made an expedient cover from cardboard and duct tape yet, in fact a few of my knives have been living in cardboard sheaths for more than a few years

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Leather is a great sheath material... as long as you get in the habit of removing your knife from the sheath for storage,,, or greasing the blade.

With your experience sewing you will have absolutely no issue making your own sheath from leather and it is a Bushcraft skill well worth playing with.