A new sharpening technique?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'm not great at sharpening and just go for 20° per side and then mostly strop for maintenance. This guy has amazing results using a coarse grit (250) one side angled in one direction (eg forward) and a fine grit (6000) on the other side angled in the other direction (eg backward).

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Our knives get used a lot, & I am going to stick with my whetstone. Personally I think one is better off learning a skill, rather than having to purchase something to try & counteract the skill you don't have. It is a good feeling knowing that you can use a stone picked up in the creek to sharpen your blade if there is a need.
Keith.
Whetstone 2012 Equipment 015 REDUCED.jpg

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Our knives get used a lot, & I am going to stick with my whetstone. Personally I think one is better off learning a skill, rather than having to purchase something to try & counteract the skill you don't have. It is a good feeling knowing that you can use a stone picked up in the creek to sharpen your blade if there is a need.
Keith.
It was a viewer who sent the knives in sharpened that way. He apparently did it by hand, estimating the angle to be around 20°. I assume he used whetstones, or a whetstone with the two different grits as most of them have, then finished off with a strop and compound to get rid of any burr.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Since getting a wooden strip for Chrimbo, I've sharpened all my knives on it, being careful to lift at the end of each draw.
I will still carry my DC4 when out and about.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
DC4 is my travelling stone too :) although I'm yet to need it (haven't had it long) - I mostly use a small strop and don't sharpen that often. What is the wooden strip?

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Strop, my mistake. From Carbatec. Came with yellow honing block, much less smelly than the Autosol I used to use.