BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

A little bit of Bergans history

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
When I go into bushwalking back in the late 70's/early 80's, some members were still using these packs - called 'A-Frames'. They weren't comfortable as the heavy gauge steel frame cut into the back of the shoulders and waist pressure points. Some of the frames were hollow with either a cork plug or a tap at the bottom, and used to carry stove fuel ... often port, whiskey or rum! (This was later copied in some 'H-framed' packs).

Internal framed packs took off in Oz mainly because they were lightweight and didn't catch on scrub - 'H-frames' were notorious for getting caught-up in scrub and vines.

Further reading:

http://mbw.org.au/history/MBW_history_126.php

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Here's one I came across by accident:

search ebay for "Vintage RUCKSACK & POUCHES.Leather, canvas & webbing.Maybe ex scouts or Army?". The seller is '5555sue'

Last edited by a moderator:

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If it was not for the fact it was local pick up I would of had that. I had one that I used back in the 80's when in the Army and I though they were great.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Methinks the seller has done him/herself a disfavour by not offereing postage. Perhaps tricky to post due to the frame, but lack of a postage option may be putting off many willing buyers.