4x4 recommendations

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Ha ha, i bet the army ones get a good thrashing, as you would expect. Think ex government might be a bit to pricey for me.
Strange, my experience of these two fleets of vehicles is exactly the opposite.
I have experience and history with both fleets.
To drive a green fleet Mil vehicle, you must do a mil driving course (white fleet is an assessment only), gov just checks your licence but not your record.
Damage a Green veh and it will most liklely be Member to Pay. Gov veh get handed around and never checked.
From my book;
"All Ex-mil are broken/busted, all Ex-mil are A1 condition
As with any second hand fleet vehicle, there are goodn’s and badn’s.
There were a number of Perentie vehicles refurbished near the time of disposal and many others that have languished in holding yards for prolonged periods awaiting auction. Some vehicles have been treated like ‘Company cars’, others jealously guarded and cared for by a small unit. One thing they all have in common is repairs as they are required, no matter what the item or cost. You will see in their logs, a list of items fixed that will include a new gearbox listed alongside new light globes! Ensuring the vehicle has its Service record available is crucial. See the attached reference guide to decrypt the Military service codes. (Appendix 3)
Vehicle servicing is a rigid Period/ kms regime.
In recent years, Defence has trialled extended interval servicing, i.e. minor: 24months/10,000km. Major 48months/ 20, 000kms. Safety critical items are checked 6 months or 5000km after fitment or 12 months after the last Major service.
The no-expense-spared view has its’ limits though. If a vehicle is deemed Not Economical to Repair (NER) and is not vital, then it will be released for disposal. ALWAYS check the GM120 for the final inspection sheet. See the ‘ Inspecting’ section for more."

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Well, I found my 4x4. It's a 2001 Pajero with only 100,000km on the clock. One owner, retiree, never towed anything, doesnt even have a tow bar and looks like a brand new car. Not one scratch on it. Hoping it will be a good rig, going to take the family to Arkaroola next year. Plus explore the Blue Mountains and surrounds beforehand.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
What ever route you decide to go down do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy a 4x4 fitted with a DPF (diesel particulate filter), they are an abomination on the diesel world and will cost you dearly.......

just google DPF problems and you will find 000's of disaster stories to do with these heaps of junk......

Yes I have been stung by its curse (in case you couldn't tell) and it is expensive and no one knows how to work on them properly, not even the dealership that the cars come from......

Cheers

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Did you buy an ex mining vehicle? I don't know why anyone would bother putting one on a stardard diesel

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Its standard now on most new diesels to meet emissions standards.......

We bought a standard diesel Nissan xtrail and it was very very costly......

New jeeps have them
Most new European diesels now have them......
New diesel Suzuki's too......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
That's pretty much what we did......

I have spent most of my life round diesels, but older ones as i'm into my 4x4's, I had never ever heard of a DPF before this heap of junk......

Live and learn......

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Ha ha, i bet the army ones get a good thrashing, as you would expect.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a RAEME Officer (has been for 40 years) about buying one of the Rovers that are currently at auction. He said to be go low KM's but even then it is luck of the draw (& there is no way to improve those odds).

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine who is a RAEME Officer (has been for 40 years) about buying one of the Rovers that are currently at auction. He said to be go low KM's but even then it is luck of the draw (& there is no way to improve those odds).
K's on the clock mean nothing unless verified by the GM120 that should be with the vehicle.
As for put luck with the choice, my customers usually avoid the money traps and dogs.
Cheers, Dave

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ill throw my 5c in. ;)

If you go Japanese to start you are already up. There are a few hit and misses but generally the reliability of the Japanese vehicles especially the diesels are pretty solid but you do pay more. Toyota are always very strong but their value is a bit higher. I have a 2007 Mazda BT50 3.0L turbo diesel which had done light 4x4 and 80K km. I payed $23k. Ive now done over 140k in it.

Ive owned it for about 4 years and it has never let me down ever. Just regular servicing and the very odd part. Mazda, I think are one of those brands that have lifted their game in the last 10 years and are producing cars equivalent to the bigger names like Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi.

As standard it is a great 4x4 with good clearance. I put a set of Maxis Bighorns on it which improved the clearance even more and also improved its offroad capability which stock is very good. If i did anything to it I would put a set of lockers on it but have always been able to get up obstacles without lockers with careful line selection. Other than that its been a reliable handy and very good vehicle. That all being said. I have the freestyle cab so the back seats are pretty useless for week long trips for a family. Only the 2 of us so its no issue but for a family maybe not. Pretty much the same car as the Ford ranger just a different body.

I would love a defender despite the reputation of reliability they are great 4x4s but I just dont want the potential hassle to be honest. If I were after a vehicle to do it all and needed the room for a family but didnt want to spend a bucket load It would be hard to go past the 80 or 100 series LC.

Ill throw out another dark horse as well. Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Last edited: