4x4 recommendations

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 4x4 as a weekend adventure vehicle, take kids camping etc. Don't have a lot of cash to spend so looking at an older vehicle. There's a 2001 Pajero near by for sale with 190,000km, 5 speed manual with petrol motor. I know that it would be thirsty on the juice but as a weekend vehicle not to much of an issue and might consider putting it on gas. Does any one own a pajero, have you been happy with it, any issues to look out for. Would you recommend another brand, Toyota, Nissan instead?

This one has full service history and just had the timing belt done.

Any advice welcome.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
V6 Pajero's eat head gaskets like no tomorrow. I wouldn't recommend one. If it is a shorty with the 4cyl engine then not such a bad car.

Older twin-cab Hilux with live axle front and a 22r engine would be more sensible for about the same money.

My2c

Nicko

EDIT: Apologies I have missed the "2001" and made assumptions about years. My experience doesn't extend to a model so new so ignore my advice.

How much are you looking to spend? Can't go past a Turbo Diesel GQ patrol for value for money.

Last edited:

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I picked up an 89 model 4.2lt non turbo diesel patrol a few year ago for just over 5K......

Has never been stopped, spring suspension all round as well as 4 wheel disc brakes, easy to fix things yourself on them too, ate my cousins late model navara for breakfast last 4wd track day we had, and I still get 600km's to a tank......

excellent truck, could not recommend them enough......

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I picked up an 89 model 4.2lt non turbo diesel patrol a few year ago for just over 5K......

Has never been stopped, spring suspension all round as well as 4 wheel disc brakes, easy to fix things yourself on them too, ate my cousins late model navara for breakfast last 4wd track day we had, and I still get 600km's to a tank......

excellent truck, could not recommend them enough......
Also worth noting that the Short wheelbase patrols have a lever to disengage the sway bars and give better suspension articulation. The long wheelbase patrols do not have this however both long and short wheelbase Ford Mavericks (The same car but re badged) have this lever.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
V6 Pajero's eat head gaskets like no tomorrow. I wouldn't recommend one. If it is a shorty with the 4cyl engine then not such a bad car.

Older twin-cab Hilux with live axle front and a 22r engine would be more sensible for about the same money.

My2c

Nicko

EDIT: Apologies I have missed the "2001" and made assumptions about years. My experience doesn't extend to a model so new so ignore my advice.

How much are you looking to spend? Can't go past a Turbo Diesel GQ patrol for value for money.
No worries mate, I dont think head gaskets are such an issue on the 2001 models (but could be wrong). I went for a test drive today and it was a really nice drive and heaps of room for all the paraphernalia that is family camping. I'll take a look at the Patrol, thought they would be out of my price range for a lower km one (by low I'm taking high 180,000 - 200,000).

My dad has a patrol ute on the farm and hasn't been able to kill it after a few decades.

Last edited:

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a 4x4 as a weekend adventure vehicle, take kids camping etc. Don't have a lot of cash to spend so looking at an older vehicle. There's a 2001 Pajero near by for sale with 190,000km, 5 speed manual with petrol motor. I know that it would be thirsty on the juice but as a weekend vehicle not to much of an issue and might consider putting it on gas. Does any one own a pajero, have you been happy with it, any issues to look out for. Would you recommend another brand, Toyota, Nissan instead?

This one has full service history and just had the timing belt done.

Any advice welcome.
That amount of KM's on a petrol 4x4 is a fair amount - if it was an oiler then it'd considered to be just 'broken in'.

Nissan's were once considered to be very good, but that was years ago and I haven't kept up. Toy's have always been considered to be good.

Don't know the $$ you're looking at, but have you considered the Government Auctions - e.g. ex-State Gov't fleet vehicles? (Obviously keep clear of ex-mining/military ones as they're almost always thrashed.)

If you're considering the Pajero - suggest having it put over the pits for a thorough check before purchasing.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
That amount of KM's on a petrol 4x4 is a fair amount - if it was an oiler then it'd considered to be just 'broken in'.

Nissan's were once considered to be very good, but that was years ago and I haven't kept up. Toy's have always been considered to be good.

Don't know the $$ you're looking at, but have you considered the Government Auctions - e.g. ex-State Gov't fleet vehicles? (Obviously keep clear of ex-mining/military ones as they're almost always thrashed.)

agreed.....

Diesels will outlast the apocalypse, especially the older ones, and I was in the army and you do not want an ex army 4x4, trust me on that.....

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

If you're considering the Pajero - suggest having it put over the pits for a thorough check before purchasing.
Well I'm on the cheap...between 5k and 9k, definitely put it over the pits, I have a good local mechanic. Been looking at some 4x4 forums, high km's dont seem to be to much of an issue, seen a few with 300,000km+ But you dont know what they spent to achieve that.

agreed.....

Diesels will outlast the apocalypse, especially the older ones, and I was in the army and you do not want an ex army 4x4, trust me on that.....
Ha ha, i bet the army ones get a good thrashing, as you would expect. Think ex government might be a bit to pricey for me.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
$9K will get you a lot of Land Rover Discovery. My last Discovery I bought was a diesel which I bought for $5K - it needed some regular maintenance done for a car of it's age but apart from the usual Land Rover quirks it was a great car - my wife still regrets selling that one. I also bought my Defender 130 for less that $10K. The V8 Discovery's can be had for very cheaply (less than $5K) though fuel economy will obviously be not great.

I have also owned a 4.2 diesel GU Patrol which was another great car but you will pay through the nose for these usually, they are pretty bullet proof though. My brother just bought an older diesel Pajero (can't remember the model NL???) for less than 10k and it was kitted out for offroad. It seems like a real nice car and he is now set for some big adventures.

Good luck.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Have owned a 91 hilux and now have a 2004 landcruiser. Both very good, but I would never buy a non-turbo diesel again.

Both are very easy to work on and aftermarket parts are easy to come by. Lots of writeups on the web about modifications and camping setups.

If you get an older diesel, service every 5000km. A newer one, you can do it at 10000.

Make sure you take them for a test run, make sure 4wd engages, no weird noises, check front swivel hubs for leaks, check for play in uni's in the driveshaft and diff, if independent suspension check all boots are in good condition and no leaks, check the wear on the tyres for abnormalities, and if you can jack up each wheel and have a reef on it to check for play (wheel bearings). These few things will let you know if the vehicle has been properly maintained not just engine oil and filters. If it looks like they've given it a good clean the test run needs to be for at least 20 mins then get under and check for leaks again. Before it gets too hot check the radiator for bubbles (head problems). Also check for a white residue under the engine oil cap (sign of water in oil).

You are about to walk into a minefield, good luck!

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Have owned a 91 hilux and now have a 2004 landcruiser. Both very good, but I would never buy a non-turbo diesel again.

Both are very easy to work on and aftermarket parts are easy to come by. Lots of writeups on the web about modifications and camping setups.

If you get an older diesel, service every 5000km. A newer one, you can do it at 10000.

Make sure you take them for a test run, make sure 4wd engages, no weird noises, check front swivel hubs for leaks, check for play in uni's in the driveshaft and diff, if independent suspension check all boots are in good condition and no leaks, check the wear on the tyres for abnormalities, and if you can jack up each wheel and have a reef on it to check for play (wheel bearings). These few things will let you know if the vehicle has been properly maintained not just engine oil and filters. If it looks like they've given it a good clean the test run needs to be for at least 20 mins then get under and check for leaks again. Before it gets too hot check the radiator for bubbles (head problems). Also check for a white residue under the engine oil cap (sign of water in oil).

You are about to walk into a minefield, good luck!

Bahahaha.....yes, that is what I fear......but if it all works out ok i'll be a happy man. Thanks for the above tips. Plan on going back and doing a nice long test drive.

Neilsk

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
one thing you need to remember with the difference between petrol and diesel, if your not out to spend too much get a petrol. You need to do a significant number of Kms to cover the difference between petrol and diesel cars in fuel.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
nissan are still a good brand. they have have some dramas with a few models they had made outside of japan but have moved these operations home. this has only been in the last few years though.
i bought a 2004 navara because for the same year hilux with same kms was 10k more.
you could pick up a 2000-2004 xtrail or navara for less than 10k. and the nissan diesels never die. they just get slower.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
one thing you need to remember with the difference between petrol and diesel, if your not out to spend too much get a petrol. You need to do a significant number of Kms to cover the difference between petrol and diesel cars in fuel.
On the other side of the coin, how long do you want to keep the car? If you want to keep the car forever than the extra money for the diesel will end up being a saving. Conversely if you only plan on keeping the car for a couple of years than the diesel will have a higher resale value than the petrol as well as the cheaper running costs along the way.

Diesels also last longer generally before needing rebuilds. 200,000km on a petrol is almost worn out but 200,000km on a diesel is hardly broken in.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
On the other side of the coin, how long do you want to keep the car? If you want to keep the car forever than the extra money for the diesel will end up being a saving. Conversely if you only plan on keeping the car for a couple of years than the diesel will have a higher resale value than the petrol as well as the cheaper running costs along the way.

Diesels also last longer generally before needing rebuilds. 200,000km on a petrol is almost worn out but 200,000km on a diesel is hardly broken in.
My brothers petrol Navara is up to 350,000km with out a rebuild, but yes diesels certainly hang together a lot longer. Probably hold onto the 4x4 for a number of years, but annual km's will be modest. Had another test drive of the Pajero, might take it to my mechanic for an assessment.

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My Landcruiser has over 400,000km on the clock and goes like a beauty.

I'd go a diesel 60 series landcruiser. My brother has one on his farm still going well with 750,000km and he only does oil changes.

Find one without rust and you could be in business. Definitely go diesel. Mine has no turbo but that's no issue.

KB

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
x2 for the Early Discovery.
Landrover is always 15-20 years ahead of the Japs when it comes to 4wd comfort and capability in their 'Premium' vehicles (Disco and Range Rover). Shed class LRs (Series, 'County' 110s and Defenders) have the equivelant suspensions setups to the same age high spec cars.
for $8-10K you can pick up a full-history 7seat TDi (2.5 Turbo diesel, 4 cyl), probably with aftermarket diff or axles.
It will return 10-12lt/ 100km loaded and just keep going and going.
Check for rust in the firewall, doors and chassis outriggers. They have ally body panels but they are not immune to rust.
For your money, you won't be in the running for an ex-mil wagon (which I HIGHLY reccomend) but you could find the civvy equivalent in good nick for that money.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
No offense to anyone here and their cars but the advice I got from my friends currently in the car industry is avoid Landrover and Jeep period...

I ignored this advice once and got a 2001 tdi discovery. It cost me.....

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
I'm not anti-landrover but when I was caretaking a property up on Cape York the "tough" vehicle most folks had trouble with was the Land rover "Extreme". Then it was a minimum 7 day wait on parts to come in by air unless the mob in cairns had them in which case it was only about three days max.

As a member of the 40 series land cruiser community, we do not talk about J**ps since our chariots of awesome are often mistaken for one and that hurts.