4WD Recommendations Please.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
We need to purchase 2 more 4WDs, new & or second hand. Taking into account reliability, cost & availability of parts, & "Wade Depth", can anyone recommend a decent 4WD? We are considering twin cab utes at this stage, & we thought perhaps either Holden or Toyota?
Thank you.
Regards, Keith.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Navara's are good value for money, ease of parts and easy to service and tons of aftermarket parts to make them better off road

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Out of the two personally I would be choosing the Toyota over the Holden. Hilux's have been around for a long time and have gained a reputation for being solid and reliable. Toyota in general tends to have a good reputation with many of their cars (corolla, camry etc). Parts and accessories widely available. You do tend to pay a considerable amount more with Toyota tho, like 10K more. I would have liked one, but was on a very tight budget so got a second hand Triton, they offered the best value for money. I was also after a decent amount of space in the back for baby seats and also a long tray for storage, so it ticked a lot of boxes for *my* current needs and circumstance. Here is a good article/site that makes for some good reading - https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/why-a-ute-why-toyota-hilux/

Luke777

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yep Toyota are proven, but pricey to buy and parts are easy to get but also expensive too. I ended up with a Mitsubishi Pajero DID. Parts are more reasonably priced, better interior, excellent 4wd system, bit more power over comparable competitors. Made of money id get a Toyota, but I'm not that guy.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I used to have a Pajero and I rate them highly. The current mid range model even comes standard with rear diff locks.

Sent from my camp fire by smoke signal!

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I had a Paj too which was great but had to downsize unfort. Think Le loup is looking for dual cab body tho :)

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Toyota every time. Second hand or new.

My old 1985 Landcruiser outlasted heaps of my mates cars: Jeeps, Pajeros, Holdens, Nissans etc. I bought Dennis second hand with 170,000k on the clock and drove him to 440,000km and still sold him for $4.500.00..he cost $10,000 17 years ago. The only time he broke down was when the radiator shat itself. I did maintain him assiduously but that's what you do when you need a vehicle to start and go when you climb on board.

Sure you pay a little more but parts are available anywhere from either dealers or wreckers.

I bought a new HiLux last year and it is the best car I have ever owned in over 40 years of driving.

Good luck!

KB

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone who have answered so far, it looks as though it will be the Hilux or possibly a Triton then. I too owned a Toyota Landcruiser SWB in the Territory, & if someone had not nicked it I would probably still have it!!! My youngest son has a Triton & is very happy with it, as MCG88 said he too wanted room in the back for a baby seat.
I very much appreciate the feedback, you have helped a lot.
Thank you.
Regards, Keith.

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
As a keen offroader I have had several, a few Hilux's and now what I feel to be the utimate allrounder, I now have a 105 series Landcruiser in a Diesel (the mighty and everlasting 1HZ). Solid axles front and rear for great articulation, factory dual fuel tanks for range, 8 seater which fold up to give a huge cargo area, and a true 3.5 ton towing capacity (unlike all these modern 4x4s with small gcm's).

While utes are great, I did get tired off all my gear being covered in dust and crap all the time when driving in the bush.

McGinnis

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Perhaps too late if you've already bought something, but anyway...

Taking into account reliability, parts availability, and wading depth... it has to be a troopy (75/78/79 series Landcruiser). The bigger brother of the Hilux, they are truly indestructible.

More expensive up front, sure, but as they say - buy once. Our work vehicles are an assortment of modern 4wd utes (Colorados, Rangers, Tritons, Amaroks, Dmaxs etc) and they are, honestly, just rubbish. All of them. Cheap crap. The only modern utes I haven't driven are the BT50s and Navaras, and I can't imagine they're any different to their brethren. One issue is that modern vehicles seem to be built with a shelf life - and that results in a vehicle that's simply more prone to failure under extreme circumstances. The modern Hiluxes aren't quite as bad, but they're still not excellent.

Beware of wading in any 4wd, however; ensure your diff, transfer case and transmission breathers are extended into a dry area, and don't wade above that or the engine air intake. Or at all, if possible.

MARC

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I agree with TC, the old 105 is one very capable vehicle, I myself had one, and then went to Nissan, which i believe pips Tojos for driveline strength. Get hold of a well sorted older diesel, Toyota or Pootrol. Modern forbies lack cubes, no live axles, they are crap for even moderate track work. Current ride for me is a LC V8. Plenty of them around, and the engine is as honest as the day is long. You can mod the IFS on them , but it's needs to be done properly and by someone who understands the way it needs to set up. Most mid size forbies like Hi Lux, Navarra, etc are not manufactured in Japan anymore, they are made in Thailand, Spain etc. BT 50s seem to be pretty popular, as do the Isuzus (not sure if they run a true jap engine). My mate paid $94.000 for a new Prado, with a piddly 2.8 in it, might even be smaller. If you don't tow you'll get away with a smaller donk perhaps.