2nd hand sewing machine.

cookie

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Have been thinking of getting a new (2nd hand) sewing machine that is a bit heavier duty then my mums (loaner) machine. Seems to be alot of old singer machines but they only do straight stitch.

Any tips on where to look for something that can do cross sticth like really old brother machines or vulem? I want to sew leather, tarps and heavy canvas. Make packs etc.

cheers

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I picked up a Pfaff 130 off eBay. Its a light industrial machine. As luck would have it, it was located only a few hundred metres from my home so I was able to walk there, pushing a hand truck and walk it back home. It came with a timber cabinet but I took it out of that because it took up too much room. Total cost $20.00. This will give you some idea of what a machine like this is capable of. https://youtu.be/B78t2zXrTU4

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "cross stitch". Do you mean zig zag?

Sewing all the way up to "heavy canvas" using just one machine I don't think is possible. Unless you're wanting to make a traditional canvas pack, you'll be using modern, lightweight materials and heavy duty, industrial machines don't tend to sew those well, if at all.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yeah ebay. I picked up a Necchi locally for about $20. Motor was weak but the machine was super smooth and being an old machine everything is metal. Goes through anything I can fit under the foot with ease. Only recently got around to having the motor reconditioned now it's way faster than I need and still cost me less than a new domestic machine that wouldn't have any hope of handling the materials this one does.

cookie

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Biggles, yes I ment zig zag not cross stitch :)

Apsilon, Found a necchi supernova locally but seller says "not sure if it works" which to me is same as saying it doesnt work :)

keep looking I guess..

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Don't be too quick to dismiss it. You're right that not sure if working likely means not working but it could be something simple and cheap to fix or it could just be they don't know how to thread the machine to test it etc. If the price is right and it's local it might be worth asking if you can take a look.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, I suggest you join the Hammock Forums, forum. There is a wealth of information there in the DIY section, so much so that it can be quite overwhelming when you first visit but it's worth persevering. https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

cookie

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
thanks for the info, yes will checkout the machine and see how it goes. Be itching for a better machine for years so now going to pull the trigger if I can find one!

biggles, yeah am a member, tons of things I want to make! One of the hurdles I have found is finding a supplier of materials that will do things in small quantities. Seems to be lots of places overseas but not much luck locally.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Simon at Tier Gear http://www.tiergear.com.au/ who is a member here, is the only one that I can think of who is local to us. That said, Rip Stop by The Roll and DIY Gear Supply will both supply materials in the quantities we DIYers use. There are many others also, but as you have observed, they're all overseas.

cookie

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Looked at the necchi supernova and got it:

Hasnt been used for a while so gave it some oil and its so smooth! Just need to sort out the upper arm tensioner, cant get my stitch tension right.

Thanks for the tips, happy days!

20160325_170806.jpg