1700's hinged tinder box fire kit

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I just got this traditional fire kit from viceroybooks (ebay retailer), it is the 1700's hinged tinder box fire kit in brass by Tedd Cash. Quite impressed by the quality of this item, and the contents.

I did think the flint shard was a little small so added another of the recently bought pieces, though that required I reduced the amount of char cloth that was in the kit, but that was was neither here nor there as I would just extra carry char cloth separately anyway. I will be removing the small piece of flint and replacing it with char cloth after I do a video overview later in the week.

I am finding the "U" shaped steel a bit hard to get used to but am determined to practice with it until I find it comfortable to use.

I love the tin.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
As I have posted on this in the past, so there is not much I can add, but I will remind you that the tinderbox was/is used to prepare toe rag, plant & fungi tinder materials as well as being used to make fire.
Keith.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
that tinder box is awesome, looks very special, :love:

not sure about the U shape striker, think if it was me id be nicking the flint and producing blood not a spark :oops:
whats the actual size of the cool box WaveMan?

edit:

found him on fleabay, that Brass one looks very nice :oops:

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Nice little tinderbox, I was lucky to have a couple of old tobacco tins handy which have done the job well.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah I am not sure about the "U" shaped steel yet, it is a bit unusually shaped.

The tin is awesome, I love everything about it and am glad I didn't skimp out and opted for the brass one. I won't be punching a hole in this one so I can throw it into a fire to produce char cloth, just too nice.

This is purely to house this fire kit and is to look pretty doing it....LoL

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah I am not sure about the "U" shaped steel yet, it is a bit unusually shaped.

The tin is awesome, I love everything about it and am glad I didn't skimp out and opted for the brass one. I won't be punching a hole in this one so I can throw it into a fire to produce char cloth, just too nice.

This is purely to house this fire kit and is to look pretty doing it....LoL
I'm a fan of the "nordic" type steels, like this internet pic

I hold it between thumb and fore-fingers when striking, rather than "English" styles (like th U or C shapes) where you tent to use a fist and endup grating your knuckles ....

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the "nordic" type steels, like this internet pic
View attachment 26882

I hold it between thumb and fore-fingers when striking, rather than "English" styles (like th U or C shapes) where you tent to use a fist and endup grating your knuckles ....
agreed, I too am finding the "U" shaped steel strikers problematic, I am just uploading my test video and I did have a success but it was a bit of an effort. I am thinking I will go back to the "C" steel strikers they are so much easier to use (which you can also use in the pinch grip 'nordic' style as well). IMHO flint and steel is already hard enough to do without making harder by changing it up and change the shape of the striker.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I am still getting used to the "U" shaped steel striker, but here I show I did eventually get char cloth to ember using my new 1700's tinder box fire kit flint and steel