120ThingsIn20Years Intro

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I blog about my attempt to learn 120 Things over the next 20 years. Bushcraft will be one of them.
My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Welcome mate
Thanks, and thanks for sorting out that login stuff for me.

I'm a member of quite a few forums as a result of my attempt at learning everything I can about everything I can, and around the traps, I also go by the name of BullwinkleII, so say hello if anyone already knows me :)

I'll have my head down for a while reading what looks at first glance to be an excellent pile of posts.

Quality forums are an amazingly useful thing to be involved in, so thanks in advance to everyone involved.

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I don't really have a list order.

I try not even to know what I'm going to do next.

Most of the "things" I do tend to be things I can lean, and then move on from. Things like making bread was something I wanted to learn how to do, and I still make a loaf ever now and again, but mostly I use my breadmaker. The point was to gain the skill. Other things like Aquaponics (growing fish for the table, and vegetables from the fish waste in a closed loop system in your backyard) I'll probably do forever. I've recently been reunited with my half brother from Papua New Guinea (I grew up there) and he has rekindled an interest in bushcraft that I've had since I was a kid growing up with the local kids in New Guinea. The local kids had amazing skills and would often shoot a bird on the way home from school with the sling shot (rubber from a car tyre) for the family pot. I was the pasty white kid whose only claim to fame was that I had an unending supply of bent pins to use as fish hooks. Thanks mum.

Since then I've upgraded to making my own handmade lures as one of my "things".

At the moment, I'm currently working on shedding 20kg of body fat so I can take more kit with me on the little solar powered boat I'm working on to go on an epic adventure sometime (hopefully) this summer.

So I guess the answer is, I have no idea where it rates in importance, but I suspect bushcraft will be one of those things that I keep working on forever. Or until I die, whichever comes first :)

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
120/20,
Sounds like a great objective.
Why 120 things? Was there a specific reason for that number?
I am pretty sure, just from my own limited experience here, that you will pretty quickly start filling your list (Might even have to extend it)
Firelighting techniques (many and varied), knapping, tracking, taxonomy, shelter building, navigation (natural and man made) knifemaking, water procurement, cordage making etc etc etc all come under the general heading of bushcrafting but are specific and individual skills in themselves. Depends how quick you want to develop your skills.
Either way, I hope you enjoy your time here.
Cheers
Bloffy

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks people.

Mrs 120 things was just reading over my shoulder and read "knapping" as kidnapping. Quite an interesting list if you include kidnapping :)
Actually quite an interesting list regardless.

Why 120 things? I figured a new thing every 2 months was a reasonable goal. Obviously that goal was just an average kind of thing, but I thought if I gave up watching TV(which I did 4 years ago) I would have enough time to make a reasonably serious effort at learning some new stuff. As I said, some things obviously take a lot longer, but things like building a Stirling Engine were pretty quick. Given that a Stirling engine isn't really a very useful thing to know how to build, I moved on pretty quickly :)

But 120 things was really just a commitment to the long term goal of learning a stack of stuff. I always admired those old dudes that know how to do stuff, and realised I didn't :)

I thought I'd try to learn some bushcraft after I had a go at friction fire starting when my brother told me he had succeeded using the bow method. This was a few weeks ago, and I promptly went out to the shed and stuck a dowel into my power drill to see what all the fuss was about.

Needless to say I failed, and was instantly hooked :)

Yet another thing that led me here.

Today he showed me how to make some string from the fibres of the palm growing in my front yard. Not a real lesson, but an amazing glimpse of what is possible. Real string! Awesome!

Actually string was the first thing I've been reading up on last night on the forum. Strange coincidence that my little brother should visit tonight, pick up one of the giant palm fronds that got deposited on my front lawn in the wind, and make something that looked a lot like normal, every day supermarket hemp twine. Awesome!

so... yeah... looks like this might be a good place to learn quite a few "things" :)

120ThingsIn20Years

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Ok...

I got sick soon after joining here.

Now I'm a lot better.

In the meantime I've been binge watching bushcraft videos on youtube. There wasn't so many when I started, but now they all look like they are full on Hollywood productions.

I've also had the suspension on my solar powered boat trailer repaired (I hope), and some bigger wheels put on it case Mr 120ThingsIn20Years has to come and rescue me from the other side of the country. The tiny wheels on what was my 4.3m sailing Kat's tralier were never really meant to rotate very fast, or go very far.

Getting slightly closer to an epic 4,000 km solar journey.

Maybe.