1:100 000 map tool

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm on the lookout for a 1:100 000 map tool. Basically a clear sheet of plastic that breaks down the UTM grid into easier to use portions. I've found one on Amazon, but it would be good to get one in Aus:

http://www.amazon.com/100-000-Scale-UTM-Grid/dp/B005F147N0

I have found one that stocks it in Australia, but they're charging $15 for what is basically a bit of plastic.

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to print one of the google images of these grids onto clear overhead projector type plastic, while still keeping it to scale in relation to the map?

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
You can get clear printable plastic sheets form Officeworks online (they didn't have those in two stores I looked and was told to get them online). You can find them in some art shops as well.

I'm sure you can print the grids to scale, if nothing else then by adjusting the print scale

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If you know a CAD draughtsman, it would take him/her all of 5 minutes to draw that to any scale you want and then you could print it, using a laser printer, onto the clear plastic sheets that elof_alv mentioned or overhead projector material.
Failing that, I don't think it would be too difficult a task to draw it in Word for Windows using Word tables. It would be time consuming though.
I've searched Melbourne Map Centre's website and only turned up romers which isn't the same thing.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
have you searched....*1:100,000 Scale UTM Grid pdf* in google. if you find the grid your after, the pdf will be at the correct scale for printing,
you can then copy the file to a mini usb storage take it to Office works and ask them to laser print it onto clear acetate sheeting.

ive got clear A4 acetate sheeting here somewhere! but my laser has been out of ink for months.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
found it LOL

I have A4 Transparency Film ......have two lots, one for use with Ink Jet Printers, the other for Laser Printers

to save the films ink, it would be neat to laminate it as well.

ive saved that image you had in that link and will print one, see how it goes :)

edit: prints great, have grid on clear film.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
found it LOL

I have A4 Transparency Film ......have two lots, one for use with Ink Jet Printers, the other for Laser Printers

to save the films ink, it would be neat to laminate it as well.

ive saved that image you had in that link and will print one, see how it goes :)

edit: prints great, have grid on clear film.
Well done Mozzie.

Did you double check the scale was accurate once printed, I've seen a few things like that change scale a bit ?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
yes, the grid image that I saved from Aris's link was the wrong scale, i NEVER presume they will be correct, they are always out lol,
Imported into my QuarkXPress publishing program and scaled to the correct size for print output.

doubled up the grid on the A4 to print x2

the other thing...Mr Mozz is a architectural draftsman, so he checked the scaling :)

finished..
P1060353.jpg

you want me to laminate it Aris?

or send it up as is?

mozz

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Laminated would be great if it's easy to Moz. Thanks again.
Maybe a new item for the store....

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Laminated would be great if it's easy to Moz. Thanks again.
Maybe a new item for the store....

Okeedokee...i'll do some laminating in the morning.

If all is well with it after you get yours, ill see about getting some done for the store

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Done at the right size, could these cover from 25:0000 upwards?
I would imagine 25:000, 50:000 and 100:000 would be just scalings up but I'm probably wrong?
Cheers
Bloffy