Thread: Long time camper first time crafter.

Russell Coight

Thanks

Long time camper first time crafter.

Hello. I’ve been lurking for a while as a visitor. I have now joined in the hope I can find out more about the wonderful world of Bushcraft.
    I’ve been a long time 4wd’er and camper. Big trips, lots of gear including food, drink, tools and anything else to fill up any empty space in the fourby. As much as I enjoy this style of getting away I have really come to a stage in my life where less is more. About a year ago I stumbled across a “bushcraft solo camping” UTuber and felt instantly drawn to it. Feeling like “where have you been all my life”. ( not the utuber, the bashcrafting. 😉 Needless to say that’s where the journey began. The internet is an absolute god send for research of which I’ve done heaps. Now it’s time to put what I’ve researched into practice. I’ve got my pac full of the gear I think I’ll need. I’ve taken it to a few regular camping trips. Played with it and tweaked it as I saw fit. I’m planning my first small “hike in” solo camp soon. I figured this is the best time to join in here so I can share my experience and maybe get some advise on things I may have not thought of. I’m from Victoria. Planning on hiking into Moroka Gorge (3 hour hike apparently) setting up a tarp shelter for a night and hike out the next day.
    Hoping to get this done in the next month or so.
    Waiting for a cooler weekend though. Vic hi country isn’t a place to be in 40 degree temperatures if you don’t have to. Cheers for now.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christos campfire For This Useful Post:

MongooseDownUnder (07-01-19),Mozzie (09-01-19),Thrud (07-01-19),Wentworth (08-01-19)

Lofty Wiseman

Thanks
    Watch out its a slippery slope! I started with 4x4 camping, then went to a more bushcrafty type of walk in camping, then I went ultralight- 7kg of food and gear for week long hikes.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 850 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear Mears
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,775 Times in 875 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Christos Campfire

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 844 Posts
    G'day Christos. You've come to the right place. We are a friendly mob, there's a wealth of experience and plenty of advice for any questions you might have. If you aren't quite sure about going solo, send a shout out. There's plenty of members herr who would probably love to come out for a wander.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 713 Posts
    hey Christos. Welcome to Bushcraft OZ

Cheers Mozz
    If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, id use the first 6 hours to sharpen my axe.

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Thank you kindly for all the welcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloffy13 View Post
    G'day Christos. You've come to the right place. We are a friendly mob, there's a wealth of experience and plenty of advice for any questions you might have. If you aren't quite sure about going solo, send a shout out. There's plenty of members herr who would probably love to come out for a wander.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    That’s wonderful to know Bloffy. Appreciate the advise. The first solo trip is a bit daunting to be honest. Might just do that.
    Cheers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Christos campfire For This Useful Post:

Bloffy13 (13-01-19)

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,569 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Welcome Aboard.

Sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned.
    One thought is to head somewhere a bit closer to Melbourne, that will give you more time to get there and get organised, rather than spend so much time commuting ?