Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best locations to Live in? (food abundance)???

Russell Coight

Thanks

Question Best locations to Live in? (food abundance)???

Hello,

I wrote out a big post and then lost it so I will just post the gist of it and clarify any questions you have.

I want to try and 'live in the bush' as the saying goes. Because I want to be in nature. I originally wanted to buy an acreage and homestead but I can't afford it and I am going to quit my job as it is a very dehumanizing job and I just can't stick it out any longer. So my only second choice then is to go and live in the actual bush...

...But my main concern is finding a spot that is relatively easy to actually live in (I'm talking about sustaining myself with food). so my question is what are some of the best places that have the most amount of food (such as wild edible plants and weeds, fishing spots, possible hunting spots) where you can actually thrive and not just barely survive ya know? Thanks for that, you can PM me if you want.

Now I don't actually have much survival experience but my goal was to first find the best locations that meet my criteria of an abundance of food, and then I was gonna hire one of the survival trainers to show me everything I need in that actual location so it will be very specific to my needs.

As I said, I will clarify anything you need. And I might post more info later, I just don't like spending much time on the computer as it hurts my eyes.

thanks for any help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stringbean For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (07-01-19)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
    Hello,

I wrote out a big post and then lost it so I will just post the gist of it and clarify any questions you have.

I want to try and 'live in the bush' as the saying goes. Because I want to be in nature. I originally wanted to buy an acreage and homestead but I can't afford it and I am going to quit my job as it is a very dehumanizing job and I just can't stick it out any longer. So my only second choice then is to go and live in the actual bush...

...But my main concern is finding a spot that is relatively easy to actually live in (I'm talking about sustaining myself with food). so my question is what are some of the best places that have the most amount of food (such as wild edible plants and weeds, fishing spots, possible hunting spots) where you can actually thrive and not just barely survive ya know? Thanks for that, you can PM me if you want.

Now I don't actually have much survival experience but my goal was to first find the best locations that meet my criteria of an abundance of food, and then I was gonna hire one of the survival trainers to show me everything I need in that actual location so it will be very specific to my needs.

As I said, I will clarify anything you need. And I might post more info later, I just don't like spending much time on the computer as it hurts my eyes.

thanks for any help.
    This has a bit of a catch 22 stringbean, in so much as this is as much about survival as it is bushcraft, & the best place for living off the land may not be the best place as comfort is concerned, or in fact long term survival considering the effects of global warming.

Two areas come to mind in regards to wild edible plants, one is Arnhem Land, where I spent some time living on the Aboriginal Reserve some years ago, & the other is Queensland. The problem is that wherever there are people & live stock the environment will be depleted of native edible plants. Arnhem land is a better proposition in that regard, but it is hot there & it will be getting hotter! Also it is very isolated.

The days in Australia when you could just go bush & survive have pretty much gone mate. I own land, & I have been living off grid for over 40 years now. We supply all our own needs including electricity & water, & we grow our own food. Even so, global warming is having an effect here in New England NSW, & we are having to add more & more shade to our garden to stop the heat from killing the plants. Our big dam has so far not recovered from last summer & is very low.

Given that you probably can't afford to purchase land, the only practicle solution I can think of at present is trying to join an off grid community. You need to be able to grow your own food. In a shtf scenario this could be done by simply going deep into one of the national parks with all the right (primitive equipment) gear & a heap of vegie seeds & setting up camp somewhere, but right now i don't see this as a viable solution.

Another option might be a job as a caretaker on a property out of town, or even low rent of a place out of town.

If I can be of any assistance with skills & equipment SB, just let me know.
    Regards, Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
    http://neclhg.freeforums.net/
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

stringbean (07-01-19)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Le Loup. Well that isn't very good then is it haha. Do you have an opinion on Tasmania? I didn't realize that the climate change was so bad to be honest.

I just found out forigners can buy land in South Africa, and its pretty cheap. hmm will have to research more into that.

Mors Kochanski

Thanks
    Hi,

Prior to European invasion, the densest populations of people in Australia were along the east coast. It's the same since invasion and the reasons are pretty obvious: much more fresh water and a moderate climate. With the extra water came more bush foods.

Living for 2 years in PNG we never had problems with being cold: didn't need hot showers etc. Adjusting behavior to stay out of the midday sun (where only mad dogs and Englishmen go), was important. You could sit down anywhere at any time and never get a cold bum. Shorts and T shirts the only items of clothing we needed. the point is that living in a warm climate makes a lot of things easy.

The easiest place to gather bush foods is in the inter-tidal zone. So somewhere close the coast.

Another thing about a warm climate is how easy it is to grow food: you don't really need to store too many seeds (not easy in humid environments) because most things are grown from cuttings.

KB
    Last edited by koalaboi; 08-01-19 at 04:55 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to koalaboi For This Useful Post:

stringbean (08-01-19)

Templar

Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to live in the sun
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 435 Posts
    Maybe find somewhere local and see if you can survive a night, then a few days, then a week etc
    We didn't raise our voice, we didn't make a fuss. It's funny there was no one left to notice when they came for us

I lied about being the outdoor type....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:

lever (18-01-19),stringbean (08-01-19)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    I strongly recommend you stay out of South Africa, not a healthy place to be, especially if you are white.

Tasmania has a good climate I understand, never been there. I did hear that there was a lot of unexplored land still there, so it could be a possibility stringbean.
    Keith.
    Robert Frost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

stringbean (08-01-19)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by koalaboi View Post
    Hi,

Prior to European invasion, the densest populations of people in Australia were along the east coast. It's the same since invasion and the reasons are pretty obvious: much more fresh water and a moderate climate. With the extra water came more bush foods.

Living for 2 years in PNG we never had problems with being cold: didn't need hot showers etc. Adjusting behavior to stay out of the midday sun (where only mad dogs and Englishmen go), was important. You could sit down anywhere at any time and never get a cold bum. Shorts and T shirts the only items of clothing we needed. the point is that living in a warm climate makes a lot of things easy.

The easiest place to gather bush foods is in the inter-tidal zone. So somewhere close the coast.

Another thing about a warm climate is how easy it is to grow food: you don't really need to store too many seeds (not easy in humid environments) because most things are grown from cuttings.

KB

Thanks for that information, that is interesting. I noticed that one of the Bush Survival trainers who offer 1 on 1 mentoring say that they conduct most of their training in the Jervise bay NSW which seems to be similar to what you are describing.

I will most likely call them and ask them if they think its do-able to live forever in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Maybe find somewhere local and see if you can survive a night, then a few days, then a week etc
    I have gone no-frills camping many times with nothing but my clothes and water, But I have never found any decent bushfood (granted, I have not had training in identifying and locating it) to allow me to live there comfortably. It always just ended up me not eating for 2 or 3 days. But that wasn't really as a survival thing, just something where I can spend the time in nature away from it all. I live in South Australia btw. other than that, I can comfortably stay in the bush and I love the ruggedness, its just a matter of me getting enough food so I can actually sustain myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup View Post
    I strongly recommend you stay out of South Africa, not a healthy place to be, especially if you are white.

Tasmania has a good climate I understand, never been there. I did hear that there was a lot of unexplored land still there, so it could be a possibility stringbean.
    Keith.
    yeah your probably correct, I didn't really think about that issue when I posted that. haha

I will probably ask the survival trainers what they think of Tasmania. its just that unless they have spent time there themselves they can't really comment much on it. and most of these trainers seem to be in nsw or qld

I know this is an Aussie forum, but does anyone know of any places in the world that is reputed to being very easy to go bush in? (the worlds a big place so surely theres a place that just spits out bushfoods for the taking). I tried looking for secluded acreages in America but most still are out of my price range, and it seems like its not even as easy as just moving there, you gotta jump thru hoops. So now i'm thinking of just going there for a holiday then just dropping off the radar lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stringbean For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (09-01-19)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 867 Posts
    Try SE Asia. Cost of living is cheap as far as I know.
    To be honest, and not knowing you or your skill sets, I think it would be hard to live in the bush alone for extended periods of time. People can survive but few thrive alone. Even indigenous people relied heavily on having a family, a tribe or other social structure to live in the Australian bush and they had countless generations of experience to draw upon.
    Think hunting skills (both large and small animals), gathering skills (knowing the foods, where they grow, when they fruit etc) tool making and maintenance (even simple things like keeping knives sharp, carving bowls, keeping and maintaing the likes of digging implements etc), water procurement, fire making and keeping it going etc (collecting firewood, maintaining a fire so it doesn't go out overnight etc) . Building shelters which are suitable for climate etc.
    Dave Canterbury said "Anyone can rough it. I am all about smoothing it".
    If your job sucks, get another one that better suits your interests, your skill sets and abilities. I have and I love my job. It might take time but it's worth the hunt. In the interim, keep looking. You never know what will come your way. All advice given comes from experience not expertise. Lol
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (09-01-19)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbean View Post
    Hello,

thanks for any help.
    There are a series of videos on my channel that you might be interested in stringbean: https://www.youtube.com/user/histori..._as=subscriber
    If you have any questions or need any help, contact me.
    Regards, Keith.
    Robert Frost

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 867 Posts
    Well worth watching. Interesting way to learn.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (14-01-19)