Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Cross Free Trapper Spring Rendezvous & Turkey Shoot.

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Plenty of adventure and interest for kids with those groups, no arguement there. However when I look at the aimless young kids around here fixed to their phones walking down the street I must confess I despair.

By the time they get old enough to understand there is a world out there apart from their iphone much will be gone. If they ever do get to that stage.

A few days ago saw a discussion on a gold fossicking forum where it was remarked that when young adults get taken to a place detecting or fosssicking where there is no mobile phone access they freak out and don't want to stay.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chigger For This Useful Post:

Le Loup (12-10-18)

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,489 Times in 1,744 Posts
    Its not all just the young folk not wanting to get involved ....

For every kid, they need parental support to attend and get involved; and if the parents don't get involved, its really hard for the kids.
    Even if parents grudgingly take kids along, its difficult for them if they don't have family or friends to actively support them.

So kids end up growing up without that opportunity, so inevitably their interest will wane. By the time they are able to do things for themselves they have moved on ...

My nephew is a case in point. He's really keen on S, bushcraft, and primitive skills, but his folks aren't and even when they take him bush, they can't really nurture him at all.

My kids: were dragged to the mountains, deserts and all corners of the continent. Now they are older, they say: "Its your thing dad, not mine" .... but at least I gave them the opportunities.

Sure its possible for those kids to grow up and then pursue their "outdoor" interests, but they are tech savvy (I hate that expression), and if your group is not 100% up with the appropriate technology, the young folk will struggle to find it.
    This thread is a case in point. At the moment you'll need facebook and twitter and a "media" person to drive your event ... not just a passive web site ... connecting with young folk is all about media
    e.g. 20 years ago a full page ad in a newspaper would get huge coverage. Today hardly anyone would see it and all those people would be an an older demographic.
    Twitter/FBook - potential for huge coverage - different demographic ...

So my point is, if you want to grow and foster the next generation, you need to start with the whole family and the right technology setup .... that's just my 2c of pay-wave

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

Chigger (13-10-18),Thrud (13-10-18)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    I am no fan of Facebook or Twitter, think Zuckerberg is nothing more than a smart looking crim who has been caught out on more than one occassion selling users data. So would not have a Facebook account.

Still having said that as Aussie123 has remarked if your group opens up a Facebook account it more than likely will open up a wider and younger demographic.

Noticed your group is involved with a TAFE college perhaps they could advise on how to go about this. There are a lot of nasty people out there so privacy settings and such would be important, the TAFE college could help you with this.

Spreading the word so as to speak may help with the long term viability of what your friends are trying to do.