Thread: Snugpak Ionosphere tent

Les Stroud

Thanks

Snugpak Ionosphere tent

Decided to get a new tent for mostly full pack overnight winter time bushwalks. After 15 years of use my Eureka Moonshadow tent was showing signs of wear and coming to the end of its useful life.

Came across the Ionosphere and bought one in, a couple of days ago tried it out for the first time.

A double skinned one man tent with a mesh inner liner supported by telescoping hoops.

Very well constructed tent with taped seams for waterproofing. Read some where these Ionosphere are used by the British Army. Although rated as a one man tent two men could sleep in it with a bit of a squeeze.

Setting up was very easy, just lay the tent out, push in the tent pegs, insert the hoops. Once the inner mesh is up attach the outer skin with velcro tabs to the hoops and attach the loops to the pegs.

The tent pegs are worth a mention being proper triangular alloy ones which are far better than those metal rod ones which often spin around in a wind letting the cord flip off.

Even though I was not that familiar with setting the tent up took me about 15 minutes to get it ready. Straight forward and easy to pitch, would be quicker to set up once familiar with it.

Being a small tent and rather low it is not possible to sit up in the tent so have to slide in.

Quite a good amount of room in the tent for a rucksack plus room outside the tent for boots etc which would be handy in bad weather.

Snugpak1.jpg The inner lining set up first, in summer would be a good shelter in insect prone campsites

Snugpak2.jpg The Ionosphere with the outer skin ready for use

Snugpak3.jpg The excellent tent pegs, very stable in the wind

Snugpak4.jpg Quite roomy for a small one man tent and should provide good protection in bad weather
    Last edited by Chigger; 13-09-18 at 12:26 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chigger For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (21-09-18),biggles1024 (13-09-18),MongooseDownUnder (13-09-18),Thrud (13-09-18)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 816 Posts
    Snugpak are consistently good and I freely admit to being a fan-boy of their kit.
    I have their jacket, hat, poncho, shelter, jungle blanket.
    if I was in the market for a tent, the Ionosphere is the one I would go for. Although their kit is mostly now made in China, it still is well made and functional.

Those pegs look like MSR Groundhogs, which are brilliant.

No affiliation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thrud For This Useful Post:

MongooseDownUnder (13-09-18)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Thanks Thrud for your comments, the Ionosphere is a great little tent even though yes, now made in China. Forgot to mention there is quite a good basic repair kit as well except for glue which the user has to supply.

Again the tent pegs are excellent and are the best I have seen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chigger For This Useful Post:

MongooseDownUnder (13-09-18)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Might have to consider one of these, I also love snugpak gear and have many of their products. I am still having trouble getting comfortable in a hammock so might just end up back on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MongooseDownUnder For This Useful Post:

Chigger (14-09-18)