Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Tinder Tube/ Slow Match/ Tondeldoos

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,735 Posts
    Some of those old slow matches were treated with saltpeter (aka Potassium nitrate) to help them catch and burn, although untreated should work too, you may want to consider some kind of treatment ?

but here's an article with some other suggestions and ideas about slow matches :

http://pyrodata.com/PyroGuide/index....Slow_match.htm

(No affiliation)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

KayDee (05-09-18)

John McDouall Stuart
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KayDee View Post
    Evening everyone. First time poster here.
    I've been experimenting with fire making, specifically flint and steel. And I've recently developed an interest in tinder tubes and slow matches. These last few weeks I've been trying to make one. I figured all I needed was cotton rope and some tubing and I'd be golden.
    Man, I was wrong!
    Turns out buying 100% cotton rope for the purpose is not easy! Every store I've searched has been a disappointment. Dollar stores, Bunnings, etc. ( I didn't try Spotlight because I fear it would be an expensive disappointment). Even buying online has been a gamble.
    Either they have been chemically treated with flame retardant, or they have nylon/ polyester cores. Nothing I can find will smoulder. It's been frustrating.
    I'm still experimenting and hopefully will have some success to share with you soon.
    If anyone can relate or have some suggestions, I'll be pleased to hear from you.
    Just use cotton cloth, plenty of second hand cotton in op-shops, or calico used to be inexpensive new. Just roll it until it fits neatly into the tube.
    SCARCE ANTIQUE INDIAN - PERSIAN SILVER TINDER TUBE W- ORIGINAL WICK Etc c1800's.jpg
    Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
    http://neclhg.freeforums.net/
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Le Loup For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (07-09-18),KayDee (05-09-18)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    Some of those old slow matches were treated with saltpeter (aka Potassium nitrate) to help them catch and burn, although untreated should work too, you may want to consider some kind of treatment ?

but here's an article with some other suggestions and ideas about slow matches :

http://pyrodata.com/PyroGuide/index....Slow_match.htm

(No affiliation)
    Thanks for the article. Lots of info in there. Salt Petre soaked rope sounded like a good idea. Might try it later on if I can find somewhere that doesn't mind selling it to a loony like me.
    I may have stumbled upon a cheap and dirty alternative. Details below...

Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup View Post
    Just use cotton cloth, plenty of second hand cotton in op-shops, or calico used to be inexpensive new. Just roll it until it fits neatly into the tube.
    SCARCE ANTIQUE INDIAN - PERSIAN SILVER TINDER TUBE W- ORIGINAL WICK Etc c1800's.jpg
    Keith.
    Thanks Keith. Calico looks like a great option.

Alright, here's an update of what I've found this last week. I watched a YouTube video by David West. I highly recommend his channel if you are interested in friction fire methods.
    He demonstrated how impregnating tinder with wood ash will turn it into an coal extender. I tried it on the weekend with some of the (non-flamable) Dollar Store rope I mentioned. It worked beautifully!!
    I used the knowledge from his videos to apply to my own experiment.

I made a slow match using the method Aussie123 posted above. Only I substituted wood ash in place of saltpeter. Wood ash was sifted into a Nesquik container (No Affiliation):
    IMG20180907200343.jpg

After 18 or so hours, I took our the rope and let it air dry for a day. Tested it this afternoon:
    IMG20180909172949.jpg
    It's not ideal. But it is holding an ember unlike its untreated counterpart.

I also tried some other materials with some excellent success:
    Cotton mop from Bunnings (Thank you Mongoose and Mozzie for that suggestion)
    IMG20180909161830.jpg

A cotton floor towel (This one surprisingly has not been fire-treated)
    IMG20180909161205.jpg

The tubes themselves are Dynabolts, sourced from Bunnings.
    And the extension tube pieces from a selfie-sticks;; I thought it might be easier to slide the tube up to cover the ember rather than pull the material in. It's working alright.

So there you go! Thanks for the info, everyone. Hope this is useful for you all.
    -KD

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KayDee For This Useful Post:

Chigger (13-09-18),Mozzie (10-09-18)

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,457 Times in 1,735 Posts
    Looks like you've got the cotton sorted, but I was at the shops the other day and snapped this FYI
    20180908_145731 (Medium).jpg

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    I think plumbers hemp might also work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Les Stroud

Thanks
    The things that come up on this forum, I must try out making a slow match myself which would be handy at a long term campsite.

Save wearing out flints every time a fire is needed to be relit.

Thanks for all of the information.