Thread: Victoria State Forest camping via public transport

Russell Coight

Thanks

Victoria State Forest camping via public transport

I was lucky enough to get away for a quick overnighter as a trial - can you get camping by public transport in Melbourne?

This was the journey plan - train from Preston to Flinders street, Flinders streeet to Lilydale, Bus 683 from Lilydale to Warburton, getting off at Edwards Street stop in Wesburn and walking into the state forest via Mt Little Joe Track

The trip takes a long time on public transport! ABout 2.5-3 hours from Preston to the Wesburn bus stop. But with plenty to read on the trip (fittingly some Henry David Therau and John Muir on the Kindle) the time passes pleasantly enough. Certainly far better than sitting in traffic.

Press the bus button on passing the Wesburn HOtel and walk up "The Cresecent" around to Banksia Circuit and at the end you will be in state forest.

I found this wombat skull in the Ballarat Creek Bed. Plenty of marshmallows around and some giant burrows.

There was a bit of liquorice bullets about but nothing super fresh

Also this sambar browse, this was at about 1.8m off the ground. No preaching trees or wallows.

I did not see a single person on the hike, just a Lyre bird, a wallaby and lots of thick ferns. There is no water in the Ballarat Creek system. There is water in the Brittania Creek system to the south, however that is a bit more of a walk in from the bus road and a further walk along the Brittania Creek road before you are in State Forest as there is a heritage park along part of Britannia Creek.
    Last edited by CarboneOpinel; 05-08-18 at 10:00 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CarboneOpinel For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (06-08-18),biggles1024 (06-08-18),Hairyman (07-08-18),Le Loup (07-08-18),Mozzie (10-08-18)

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,409 Times in 1,721 Posts
    That sounds like a great trip.
    I've sort of thought it wasn't possible, but that just shows how little I'd thought about it !

Cheers

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Yes, a nice way to get an overnight camp in, have a fire without national park concerns. Of course all lost if the state forests get converted to national park.