Thread: Building a Castle From Scratch Over 25 Years Using 13th Century Tools and Techniques

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks

Building a Castle From Scratch Over 25 Years Using 13th Century Tools and Techniques

Very interesting to see how things were done back in the 13th century. Thought others here would enjoy this sought of show. Well worth a watch. I do hope the other episodes get uploaded to youtube.

Worlds biggest archaeological experiment.
    Historian Ruth Goodman and archaeologists Peter Ginn and Tom Pinfold turn the clock back as they learn how to build a medieval castle using the tools, techniques and materials available in the 13th century.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rubbing Elbows For This Useful Post:

Chigger (28-07-18),Hairyman (28-07-18)

Malcolm Douglas
    Thanks
    Interesting. I was just reading about 'castle keeps' this evening. Apparently towers of last resort should the perimeter of a castle be breached. An ancient method of 'home prepping', I guess!
    'Tools are the keys to a mans life, so choose wisely' (Socrates, 399-470 B.C.)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    An amazing video which I enjoyed watching. It is the sheer skill of all of the workers with such simple tools and of course a lot of physical effort.

Thanks for putting this up.

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigger View Post
    An amazing video which I enjoyed watching. It is the sheer skill of all of the workers with such simple tools and of course a lot of physical effort.

Thanks for putting this up.
    The quality of workmanship is amazing. The historical accuracy no matter how long it takes to complete the task is impressive.

I would love to be involved with a project like that.

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Same here would very much like to be involved although my building skills are pretty limited as have never worked in that industry. Guess I could be a general labourer and fire lighter with flint and steel.

Mind you, a genuine Medieval person would die laughing at my firelighting efforts.

Again the skill of the stonemasons and wood workers is most impressive.
    Last edited by Chigger; 29-07-18 at 08:18 AM.

Rüdiger Nehberg
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting this. We just came home from a month holidaying around England. I wish i’d seen this before then, I would have loved to visit it (next time perhaps). I did get to see up close the stone-yard at york minster. They are restoring this ancient church and the stonework and is amazing. The joinery and carving were equally amazing to see up close. Truly skilled people at work

Equally amazing was seeing whole walls and buildings made of flint. I wanted to bring some home when we saw it all over the ground but it was always at historic sites and in national park areas so i left it there

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.robinson View Post
    Thanks for posting this. We just came home from a month holidaying around England. I wish i’d seen this before then, I would have loved to visit it (next time perhaps). I did get to see up close the stone-yard at york minster. They are restoring this ancient church and the stonework and is amazing. The joinery and carving were equally amazing to see up close. Truly skilled people at work

Equally amazing was seeing whole walls and buildings made of flint. I wanted to bring some home when we saw it all over the ground but it was always at historic sites and in national park areas so i left it there
    Spent a few days in York 25 yeas ago whilst visiting my relatives in the UK. I was 20 at the time and this was the first time I'd traveled outside of Australia. York was an eye opener. The city has literally been built in and around an old castle, with the castle walls still in tact. Couldn't believe what I was seeing, being relatively young and naive to history, thought castles were only shown in movies. York was my eye opener. Loved exploring the city.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubbing Elbows For This Useful Post:

peter.robinson (04-08-18)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Episode 2 now available. I can't get enough of this.