Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brown or Tiger snake?

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,409 Times in 1,721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Donkersley View Post
    I can't add anything to this thread, other than a question - how often do you encounter snakes in the bush?

Here in Lapland, the most I have to concern myself with is the occasional adder, which are not aggressive in the slightest and want to get away from you as quickly as possible. I thought I'd read somewhere that a lot of the venomous snakes in Oz were also not aggressive, yet this one decided to head back towards you. There is always the exception to the rule, I guess!
    How many ? It depends on where you are, what time of year and how much time you spend outdoors. In the Victorian High Country (South East mountains) I see about 1 per year and generally in summer or the warmer months.

Up north in the tropics (while traveling), I think we saw about 1 per week in the "dry season", but as it warmed up we started to see a lot more (especially on the roadsides) ....

I don't think I've ever had a "problem" with a snake, generally we surprise each other and we're both happy to back off; but if you surprise them, they feel threatened and can let you know ...

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Good point, Hairyman. Knowing the behaviour and habitat of the creatures in the area goes a long way. We have bears and moose aplenty up here in Lapland, but the thing that everyone dreads the most in the forest is the Swedish mozzie!

But Browns, Copperheads and the like? I'm happy enough to not have to worry about them. I worry about my dog when we are in the woods, and that is only adders...

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    The only snakes Iíve found to be aggressive that I have encountered is Tiger Snakes. I have had them rear up in front of me and they donít back down in a hurry. I think itís mostly when you accidentally sneak up on them though as they disappear pretty quickly once you back away a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RŁdiger Nehberg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Donkersley View Post
    I can't add anything to this thread, other than a question - how often do you encounter snakes in the bush?

Here in Lapland, the most I have to concern myself with is the occasional adder, which are not aggressive in the slightest and want to get away from you as quickly as possible. I thought I'd read somewhere that a lot of the venomous snakes in Oz were also not aggressive, yet this one decided to head back towards you. There is always the exception to the rule, I guess!
    I've been encountering snakes with increased frequency over the past 5 years. I can't point to any one factor as to why that might be. We experienced a decade long drought which ended during the winter of 2009 so they might be breeding a bit more now that there is more food and water available.

I'm not getting out into the bush any more often than I was and I'm still going to pretty much the same locations so its all a bit of a mystery.

Red-bellied black snakes are what I've seen most of and they clear out as soon as they become aware of my presence which is a shame because I would like to get some photos of them.