Thread: Lost Trades Fair - Kyneton, Victoria 10 and 11 March

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks

Lost Trades Fair - Kyneton, Victoria 10 and 11 March

Good morning all,

I am interested in attending this event and wonder if anyone has some involvement in it (or has attended the fair in the past) that might be able to provide some feedback on it. I just need a little push over the edge to motivate me to drive the 6 hours.... If i attend, I would probably spend the night camping somewhere locally.

Cheers, lever.

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Hi, I've been a few times and have really enjoyed it.

The experience is very much in the eyes of the beholder. I was able to take my time and watch people and chat with them, fantastic.
    I met up with some fiends who just walked a circuit, then left ... meh !

There are some really top crafters there and I learned a lot and was inspired by others.
    I don't think there was anyone who was a "bushcrafter", but so many of the trades showcase skills which I think are relevant.

One display I learnt the most from was the "weavers". They were a group who used natural materials to weave and craft baskets and ornamental items.
    Some of the lady's there had been weaving for 50+ years and had heaps of experience with native plants: grasses, lomandra etc and they were only too happy to explain some of the processing required ... invaluable and great to see first hand.

I'm not aware of any other show quite like it, but 6 hours is quite a journey ... but as you say, you could use the long weekend to camp and explore the area a bit.

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    Thanks Aussie. One of the reasons I'm thinking about doing this trip alone is so that i have the freedom to move about the fair as I choose. I assumed that the exhibitors would be happy to talk to interested people about their trade/skills and I'm hoping to maybe find a new hobby out of this trip.

Never Alone In The Bush
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,743 Posts
    The reason people are there is to share their trades, so everyone I've spoken to there has been very friendly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie123 For This Useful Post:

sami12 (08-03-18)

Malcolm Douglas

Thanks
    I was there two years ago.
    Take a comfortabe hat and shoes, plenty of walking involved.

I'd go every year if possible.
    There is such a variety of trades you will not take it all in in any one weekend.
    I saw a fletcher, bellmaker, , cobbler, tinsmith, blacksmith, weavers and so much more.
    Can't recommend this too highly.

Go, you will be amazed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldnslow For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (04-07-18),darren (04-07-18)