Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thylacinus cynocephalus (Thylacine or Tasmanian Tiger)

Ludwig Leichhardt
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,428 Posts
    The lower jaw of the thylacine has a distinct platform... Its a marsupial 'thing'
    DSCF9423 (800x600).jpg

Where the canid is more straight up and down...
    DSCF9424 (800x600).jpg
    "Walk softly ...... listen long"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hairyman For This Useful Post:

Mozzie (18-09-16)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    *** Link is to RT.com ***

'Extinct’ Tasmanian Tiger caught on camera? (VIDEO) https://www.rt.com/viral/359671-tasm...potted-camera/

RT International | 05:29 GMT, Sep 18, 2016 *
    Footage has emerged which apparently shows a Tasmanian Tiger roaming the wilds of southern Victoria in Australia.
    The animal was declared “extinct” in 1936.

The video, which was released by the Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia, shows close up footage of the animal, with experts very confident it is a Tasmanian Tiger, or Thylacine to give it its scientific title.
    Filmed in 2008 but only released on Friday, Thylacine Awareness Group founder Neil Waters says there are a number of features which would indicate the animal is a thylacine, or a possible subspecies of it.
    The Tasmanian Tiger is striped with a long stiff tail like an extended tail bone, which doesn’t wag like a dog, as well as thick neck and is much stockier than a dog or a fox, all of which Waters claims is evident in this footage.

Waters says the way the animal walks is also like that of thylacine, as opposed to a dog or fox.
    According to the group, the woman who filmed the footage spotted the creature around 12 times over a period of 12 months, with its “prehistoric looking head” catching the woman’s attention.
    Another aspect of the animal’s manner caught the woman’s attention too.

“I Googled how fox's urinate and they urinate like a normal dog. But this thing, backed up against one of those reeds there and just sprayed like a male cat would,” the woman said.
    The woman who filmed the footage says she happened to see a thylacine and a fox in the same area on one sighting, which let her distinguish further between the two and lead her to believe it was in fact a thylacine.
    Native to continental Australia, Tasmania and New Guinea, the animal is thought to have gone extinct due to competition from dingoes. The last known Tasmanian Tiger died in 1936 at the Hobart Zoo in Tasmania in Australia, after which it was declared “extinct.”

A number of people have claimed to have spotted the animal over the years but their claims have usually been debunked, with most failing to provide video evidence.
    Earlier this month, Thylacine Awareness Group also released another video of a potential thylacine sighting near someone’s house in Adelaide in South Australia.
    Utter Noob - The last time I went camping I had fire wood and a lighter. No kindling, no cutting tools, no way of driving in the tent pegs and it rained .... LULZ all round.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jazz The Boxer For This Useful Post:

Bloffy13 (19-09-16),Hairyman (18-09-16)

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 799 Posts
    They are (I hope) still alive and well. There are several instances, (two of them in my area alone) where animals have been declared extinct or believed extinct and they have turned up many years later.
    These were top end predators. As anyone who has hunted would know, keeping quiet, being stealthy, working alone or in small groups and being able to camouflage yourself are the best way to catch your prey. Why would it be any different for something like the thylacine? I've spoken with several people over the years who have seen or tracked these creatures. Just because they are called the "Tasmanian" tiger doesn't mean they have to be just from Tasmania.
    Hopefully, they can be found to exist and brought "back to life".
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

Ludwig Leichhardt
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,428 Posts
    A 34 minute 1973 feature documentary about a search for
    the Tasmanian Tiger from The Big Country television series.

https://youtu.be/YvNneTgKtpc
    "Walk softly ...... listen long"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hairyman For This Useful Post:

Thrud (01-04-18)

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 800 Posts
    1/4?