Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing views on the tick debate

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Im glad i found this thread, Ive had 5 tick bites over a month, I get at least one every time I go into the bush, they are what I pressume as, Kangaroo ticks, very small red round insects, I freaked out initially and went to the doctors, he gave me one hit of antibiotics from a card of 5, so a few spare, I was concerned about Lymes Disease (as a collegue contracted it and had a terrible and expensive time with it but is now pretty much ok 3 years or so on). Now I just seem a bit "oh whatever" take tweezers out with me, rub anti septic on the entry point and do all the preventives mentioned above, minus the wide brimmed hat, just a cap. I researched further and stumbled on bush walking blogs where hikers talk about pulling out 15 ticks a day aas though it was nothing and started to relax, I'm still a little concerned though, any thoughts?

Jon Muir
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 828 Posts
    I know of a cadet who got nearly 50 over the course of a week. Slept very close to a grass tree. Never told anyone until last day of camp. We all reckon it was because he was a tick magnet.
    From what I gather, they basically used a tick lassoo and pulled them off, then antiseptic wipe. I might be wrong. It was a few years ago now.
    WA ticks are different to those in the east. No paralysis ticks, just kangaroo and salt n pepper ticks.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    How can I ever get lost when everyone is always telling me where to go?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloffy13 For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (12-09-15),Foxtrot65 (16-09-15)

Les Stroud

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloffy13 View Post
    I know of a cadet who got nearly 50 over the course of a week. Slept very close to a grass tree. Never told anyone until last day of camp. We all reckon it was because he was a tick magnet.
    From what I gather, they basically used a tick lassoo and pulled them off, then antiseptic wipe. I might be wrong. It was a few years ago now.
    WA ticks are different to those in the east. No paralysis ticks, just kangaroo and salt n pepper ticks.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    so pretty harmless, despite the itching? Cheers Bloffy!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxtrot65 For This Useful Post:

Bloffy13 (16-09-15)

Rüdiger Nehberg
    Thanks
    Good follow up on Catalyst tonight http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/catalyst/SC1502H021S00
    If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point. - XKCD

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redtail For This Useful Post:

Aussie123 (06-07-16),biggles1024 (06-07-16),Foxtrot65 (28-08-16)

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Ive pinched a pair of tweezers from work (major hospital) that are ideal for med to larger ticks. They are an L like shape and ive ground them down just enough to make it a little easier to get under the body. My better half has used them on me a couple of times this year along the south coast tathra to bermagui area. Ive been lucky enough (or im just a bit soft) to feel them bite into me each time so its only minutes at longest before they get pulled. I use them on my dog too.
    Ive always used the clock wise twist but have read that it should be straight pull or anti clockwise or left to a pro. But ive seen the effect of paralysis ticks and I really dont like leaving them in long enough to get to a DR. Esp when a few hours deep in the scrub.

Russell Coight

Thanks
    Aerostart has been recommended. Teenagers use 'ventolin' sprays and other aerosols to freeze each other, so why can't almost any aerosol be used to freeze a tick? Some will work better than others.

Richard Proenneke
    Thanks
    I believe Aerostart works because it has ether in it. I imagine not all aerosols will work if that is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk