Page 362 of 362 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362
Results 3,611 to 3,613 of 3613

Thread: What did you do today?

Templar

Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to live in the sun
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Hi all. Well,I finally manned-up and decided to get out there this winter before the tent arrives from the UK! I have been planning this trip for a while now.

So getting ready for an end of winter minimalist remote-desert 72hr rain and cold weather hike/ camp out test. I have deliberately planned to go over the coldest part of the end of winter during heavy rain. I will hike approx. 6-10kms from my vehicle. I will briefly document the trip for those interested and provide feedback.

Below is an image some of the gear I plan to take, some of which many have seen. Thanks to those who provided input and support on ideas for this venture

- Sleep system x2 Australian Army issue surplus Auscam hootchie/ tarps.
    - Australian Army surplus winter sleeping bag.
    - An old pure Merino new wool blanket, Australian made (medium GSM).
    - Using German Army issue Mountain Rucksack only, my favourite pack so far.
    - 3 pelican brand new pelican storm-cases to store extra food and supplies (1510M offroad mobility case!), large medical EMS case (1550) and Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 computer (small-laptop case),
    - Misc items German army cook kit, USMC and Australian Army canteens, British Army tropical sleeping bag stuff sack for Australian Army mosquito net, classic stainless steel screw-back G-Shock watch, 2013 re-run.

Gear overview (not an exhaustive inventory)

(Compact) Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 Computer, which I will use to GPS plot my course via hemma maps and for emergency satellite check in/ and comms if necessary, will use compass for hiking though. G-Shock watch in foreground.

Cheers,
    Edward!
    do you plan on carrying the computer and pelican cases?
    We didn't raise our voice, we didn't make a fuss. It's funny there was no one left to notice when they came for us

I lied about being the outdoor type....

Malcolm Douglas
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    do you plan on carrying the computer and pelican cases?

Hi Darren. No mate. You're carrying them for me! Didn't you hear???

No, one normally wheels this case (the 1510M), hence the name 'off-road mobility case'. They are on large heavy duty 304 grade stainless-steel axled wheels (hard to see in the pic, sorry)- like a luggage case, its aircraft carry-on approved. Photographers use them to shoot mountain climbers, apparently, so they are certainly mobile! They have quite a cult following. Quite easy to transport indeed, but staying at a 'secured location' for supplies, may check out more than one place, emergencies, that sort of thing.

As for the computer it is very small actually/ purpose built for the field and while certainly carry-able, wont be coming on this 'minimalist trip'. Computer will also stay at a 'secured location' for "checking in" and navigation. Great machine... if you have the means I thoroughly recommend picking one up (no pun-intended!).

Cheers & Peace!
    Edward
    Last edited by Edward; Today at 08:32 AM.
    'Tools are the keys to a mans life, so choose wisely' (Socrates, 399-470 B.C.)

Ray Mears
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloffy13 View Post
    Keith, ya drongo. You were supposed to put that in MY shed......LOL
    Sounds like you have been very busy over the past few months getting the homestead in order. Makes for interesting reads.
    Cheers
    Bloffy
    Bugger, sorry mate, I get so confused these days
    Keith.
    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference".
    Robert Frost

http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
    http://neclhg.freeforums.net/
    http://australiansurvivalandpreppers.blogspot.com.au/