What gear are you carrying today (pics)

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
So, hang on. Don't you already have one of those? With an orange handle? That's just decadence! :ROFLMAO:

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Something else from my urban kit. I bought a heap of these lights, at one point they went on sale for $1.00 each! I've been using the same one for years. They're great. It's the sort of torch I don't plan to use but have it when I get caught out. It's happened a few times, walking back through urban bush mostly. They use 1 x aaa battery, they go forever (well, all night). With eneloops or equivalent type batteries, they are easily good for a year of no concern if they don't get used - still good to go. I bought these from gearbest. No power settings or focus or anything else, just on and off. The rubber covered button is slightly recessed in the tail, so very unlikely that it will get switched on accidentally. I'd put the range to about 25m max., 5 -10m comfortably. I think their 500-1000m is the range that someone can see the light shining from, or it's just fiction :) . They are a good beam for walking and working in that they cover a good enough area. I wouldn't drop one in a bucket of water, but anything that undoes has an o ring. $3.68 right now; I think still a good buy, useful, and reasonable quality. Mine has just done what I needed without me thinking anything but pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Something else from my urban kit. I bought a heap of these lights, at one point they went on sale for $1.00 each! I've been using the same one for years. They're great. It's the sort of torch I don't plan to use but have it when I get caught out. It's happened a few times, walking back through urban bush mostly. They use 1 x aaa battery, they go forever (well, all night). With eneloops or equivalent type batteries, they are easily good for a year of no concern if they don't get used - still good to go. I bought these from gearbest. No power settings or focus or anything else, just on and off. The rubber covered button is slightly recessed in the tail, so very unlikely that it will get switched on accidentally. I'd put the usable range to about 25m max. - I think their 500-1000m is the range that someone can see the light shining from, or it's just fiction :) . They are a good beam for walking and working in that they cover a good enough area. I wouldn't drop one in a bucket of water, but anything that undoes has an o ring. $3.68 right now; I think still a good buy, useful, and reasonable quality. Mine has just done what I needed without me thinking anything but pleasant surprise.

View attachment 26065

View attachment 26066

What a bargain!
Looks alright too.
And an 'on & off' interface, you wont forget that one(y)

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Fallkniven F2z Heavy Duty Boning Knife. Convexed edge & VG10 laminated steel (4.3"/ 2.5mm) blade. Makes a descent fishing knife & is useful in the kitchen too.

A closer look at the blade geometry & tapering reveals a lot of attention to detail

Preparing an omelette

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
You'll get a lot of use out of your dremel

Seems you were right, again(y)
I just ordered a 150pcs attachments kit for the dremmel tool- with heaps of heavy duty cutting discs. I love the thing! If I only had one of these in the 80's as a boy, when I was into model making...

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Just turned up today. Genuine German Army Bundeswehr Folding Sleep Mat.

Un-boxing (used SAK tinker)

I was lucky- I got a 1998 model. Apparently these earlier mats were 'better' quality. Note: this is re-purposed, issued military surplus & has therefore been used

Its quite long, but not very thick, of course- I took the principle Le Loup suggested in his oil skin tarp videos, 'what is comfortable' & combined this with my own field experience use with my Australian Army Sleeping bag & TAS mat. I am yet to try this German mat, but I should be 'comfortable enough'

It goes inside the rucksack & doubles as a frame- I have blue foam there for now as I couldn't find the mat before at a descent price

Now I no longer have to carry around this bulky TAS mat

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Happy Easter everyone!

My mesh pup tent turned up today from China. Given I was considering spending up to $500 on a U.L. tent, this is a bargain at only $40. After much planning & gear collecting I am finally ready to start hitting the sticks. I can't wait!

Now looking for a tyvec groundsheet. Entire shelter system comes in at 1950kg in total. I know that is not light, but I need the camouflage & strength of these tarps. In summer I could also just take the mesh tent, which weighs only 750g, or the mesh tent & 1 tarp which would weight 1350g, very respectable.

Packed dimensions: Only about 36cm (14") long. Weight is 750g. Stuff sack could have been O.D., but I'll take black over red or pink any day of the week!

Inner mesh tent I had been waiting on. Pitched dimensions: 220cm long x 110cm wide. The bathtub floor could be deeper for extremes, but it should suffice for now at least

Here is what is will look like

I used field carved wooden pegs in this shot, so the tarp had sagged after a windy night, but it gives you a look at where and how the two tarps are snapped together (see apex of tent). Water just rolls off. I was initially sceptical of matting 2 army tarps together thinking they would come apart. If you are too, don't be. They are extremely strong snaps & there are many of them. Even if they all failed, which I don't see happening, they could effectively be tied together! I leave them snapped together, but they offer the versatility of being used individually too:)

The fly will consist of 2 Australian Army Hootchie Tarps (snapped together), 600g each

Military issued numbers

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Here is my mesh tent in its black stuff sack at the bottom of the German Army Mountain Rucksack- it fits perfectly, as I tested today!

You can also see the German Army sleeping mat folded up & stowed in the pack, doubling as a pack frame when not in use

Still plenty of room left!

I love this pack. Its versatility sees it used a lot, so even when I'm not out camping it reminds me of the bush

Australian Army Winter Sleeping Bag (or wool blanket) is the only externally carried item now(y)

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
OK Here is the kit I was carrying yesterday; The two side pouches, do not come with the belt kit. Pretty self explanatory, the black pouch contains the rangefinder I got from Aldi, don't normally carry that, just testing it out.

Not pictured, but jacket, bog paper, lighter and hand sanitiser in main compartment.

I know I was not carrying water; but I had a knife and my 2 companions had water...

Attachments

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
OK Here is the kit I was carrying yesterday; The two side pouches, do not come with the belt kit. Pretty self explanatory, the black pouch contains the rangefinder I got from Aldi, don't normally carry that, just testing it out.

I know I was not carrying water; but I had a knife and my 2 companions had water...

View attachment 26125

That is awesome! Great little kit for a day hike. Its amazing what we can carry on just our belts isn't it.

How is the rangefinder going? Aldi can sell some good stuff. I saw some descent quality tarps there once.

I liked seeing the first aid kit(y) I also notice you use Greenland wax. Never seen anyone in Australia using it before, very impressed:cool:, and you have a PLB, you lucky bastard!:mad::D

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Rangefinder is rated for 100yds for reflective targets (think deer in hi-viz) gear) tried it on a building at 768m worked fine. Not waterproof and doesn't come with a lens cap, but I made one out of Plastimake (essential stuff) and have put Camo gaffer tape over the seals. (If you promise not to laugh I'll post a pic of it)
It has a setting for rain a setting for golf (not my cup of tea) and another that ignores anything less than 150m, which I think will be useful in the bush, again, I haven't tested those function. Quick to acquire and the glass is surprisingly good.

I've seen eBay has one that also will measure speed, useful for seeing wether or not it is even worth starting to run if a lion is coming toward you...

First PLB was important for me as I used to do a lot of solo stuff, and personally I reckon it is an essential piece of snakebite kit. The KTI replaced a GME unit. The reason for that was the cost of battery replacement for the GME unit was almost the same price as a new KTI (which is both smaller and Australian made)

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Sounds like it works really well. That is almost 1km away. Why did you need a rangefinder? I never laugh at ingenuity- show us that contraption if you like. I have always thought an infra-red scope would be interesting.

For a long time, I have wanted to know the following about a rangefinder, even when they were science fiction:
Does is range find when you pace a cross on something, then press a button, or does it just range find the centre of the screen or the horizon, or everything? In other words how does the sensor know what to range find? Also does it use a laser?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Uses a low power laser, running off a cr2 battery.

Attachments