What gear are you carrying today (pics)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I love tactical pens, and are among the few items we can carry without having to justify ourselves as they are simply a metal pen (and from experience you can even take them on planes) I would love some of the newer ti pens but they often go for over $100 each (the latest WE tactical pens cost like $125, though they are very nice) I have currently an array of them but have settled on a click type (the only click type I have seen), bought from China for around $5 with post and takes Fisher refills. I have spent more on tactical pens in the past and to be honest they don't last any longer than the cheaper Chinese versions, though the Ti versions would be a step up I am thinking. I always pair my click tac pen with a Sharpie and a notebook which is a part of my EDC.

here are a few I currently have on hand with my EDC set at the right hand side of the pic.

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Nice. I was looking at tac pens a while back. I didn't see anything that took my fancy, but I like that bamboo body. It looks very grippy to me! Is the main body aluminium?
It says aluminium alloy. I can't imagine what it's alloyed with :unsure: Chinese unobtanium? Rice? Fascists? No, not fascists, they run China :) And, it's kind of scary knowing there are other people out there with tac pens :unsure::ROFLMAO: Re the bamboo body; I would have preferred more straight wall for strength. It is amazing how many of these things are poorly designed for their function - they seem to focus on tactical look rather than tactical use. I just wanted a strong pen that could punch through stuff, because I'm destructive. My ones (I ordered a few) are orange - the usual reason, easy to find if dropped or put down somewhere. It's a nice orange too.

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Got out my (2) Australian Army Hootchie Tarps today. I have 2 of them snapped together. They are about 240cm long x 230cm wide (together). I have been toying with the idea of buying a tent or bivvy lately, but...

Because the tarps blend in so well with the environment, are so versatile & are virtually brand new, I considered buying this A-frame mesh tent & placing the tarps over the top of it, also in an A-frame configuration💡

No poles to be carried- I would connect both the tarp and the mesh tent to a 550 ridge-line between 2 trees. According to the dimensions they will fit perfectly with room for condensation evaporation. I may add some storm doors/flaps with Velcro at either end. All in all weight should roughly come in at 1650 grams, if I make my own tent steaks in the field, use a ridge-line instead of poles & make my own wood steaks in the field. I know this is not ultra light territory, but I think its respectable, especially for the size & heavy duty construction of the tarps. I am curious to hear what people think?:unsure:

Here is the A-frame mesh tent (pup-tent) I am considering buying. Weight is 750 grams including tent stakes, guys & stuff sacks (but minus the tarps). It is unbranded & from China. Cost is about $50 (delivered). Reviews are minimal, but surprisingly very positive, saying it it well made & durable.

You can see why it is hard to 'replace' these tarps with a tent or bivvy. The camo is excellent. There is virtually no foliage below, but the tarp is still fighting to blend into the ground- its almost like these tarps are alive!

Now try & find the tarp tent in this picture!

A.) It is centre screen partially obscured by a small bush to its left & there is a red drink crate in front of it:love: When I went to take this shot I couldn't find my tent in the frame!

Construction: Eyelets are reinforced & made by a US company called 'Trucker Industries PTY LTD', enough said...

Military NSN number & Australian Military 'broad arrow' symbol. Tapped seams as standard. Made in 2001, but they seem brand new. I have only used them once, but plan using them much, much more.

Both tarps folded up with a 1.25L coke zero bottle for some scale. I had them on the scales with my packs once, and from memory they together both weighed about 1350 grams, reasonable for what they are.

Tarps set up in A-Frame with the Australian Army Hootchie mosquito box. I have no doubt the Pu water head rating of these tarps would be off the charts, definitely in excess of 10,000mm! I am confident they could handle a fairly severe storm too. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to find out.

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
It says aluminium alloy. I can't imagine what it's alloyed with :unsure: Chinese unobtanium? Rice? Fascists? No, not fascists, they run China :) And, it's kind of scary knowing there are other people out there with tac pens :unsure::ROFLMAO: Re the bamboo body; I would have preferred more straight wall for strength. It is amazing how many of these things are poorly designed for their function - they seem to focus on tactical look rather than tactical use. I just wanted a strong pen that could punch through stuff, because I'm destructive. My ones (I ordered a few) are orange - the usual reason, easy to find if dropped or put down somewhere. It's a nice orange too.

🤣🤣🤣
I think it is dura-aluminium (GRADE 5), at least that's what the high quality ones are made form, but you pay for them. They are straighter as well, so you're theory makes sense. As these pens are not allowed on planes(at least in the US), some chose the old stainless steel Parker Pen, or so I hear. Much more economical too;)

Last edited:

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Re your tent - I can't imagine you'll have condensation problems. Auscam is good - you know they actually took aerial photos of the bush from all over Australia to help develop that? And you can get pretty good aluminium pegs from places like anaconda (and ebay I imagine). I use them, they are surprisingly light.

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Re your tent - I can't imagine you'll have condensation problems. Auscam is good - you know they actually took aerial photos of the bush from all over Australia to help develop that? And you can get pretty good aluminium pegs from places like anaconda (and ebay I imagine). I use them, they are surprisingly light.

Now you mention it, I think I vaguely do remember hearing something about the photos they took to develop AUSCAM. Amazing hey! At least its not banned like the newer one is & probably most from now on. I guess having stakes is a lot easier than not having them.
I learnt that last time. Making steaks in the field is not always as burden free & calorie consuming as you think its going to be,

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Now you mention it, I think I vaguely do remember hearing something about the photos they took to develop AUSCAM. Amazing hey! At least its not banned like the newer one is & probably most from now on. I guess having stakes is a lot easier than not having them.
I learnt that last time. Making steaks in the field is not always as burden free & calorie consuming as you think its going to be,
I was also told, way back in the 80's, that new uniforms had something like chlorophyl in them. Something to do with making them a little less visible to night vision. But after 3 washes or so it wasn't effective any more. Can't find any info on that though. Maybe it was bs :)

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I love tactical pens, and are among the few items we can carry without having to justify ourselves as they are simply a metal pen (and from experience you can even take them on planes) I would love some of the newer ti pens but they often go for over $100 each (the latest WE tactical pens cost like $125, though they are very nice) I have currently an array of them but have settled on a click type (the only click type I have seen), bought from China for around $5 with post and takes Fisher refills. I have spent more on tactical pens in the past and to be honest they don't last any longer than the cheaper Chinese versions, though the Ti versions would be a step up I am thinking. I always pair my click tac pen with a Sharpie and a notebook which is a part of my EDC.

here are a few I currently have on hand with my EDC set at the right hand side of the pic.

Nice shot!
If someone was looking for 'the Fallkniven F1 of tac-pens', what tac-pen would you recommend?

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Got out my (2) Australian Army Hootchie Tarps today. I have 2 of them snapped together. They are about 240cm long x 230cm wide (together). I have been toying with the idea of buying a tent or bivvy lately, but...

Because the tarps blend in so well with the environment, are so versatile & are virtually brand new, I considered buying this A-frame mesh tent & placing the tarps over the top of it, also in an A-frame configuration💡

No poles to be carried- I would connect both the tarp and the mesh tent to a 550 ridge-line between 2 trees. According to the dimensions they will fit perfectly with room for condensation evaporation. I may add some storm doors/flaps with Velcro at either end. All in all weight should roughly come in at 1650 grams, if I make my own tent steaks in the field, use a ridge-line instead of poles & make my own wood steaks in the field. I know this is not ultra light territory, but I think its respectable, especially for the size & heavy duty construction of the tarps. I am curious to hear what people think?:unsure:

Here is the A-frame mesh tent (pup-tent) I am considering buying. Weight is 750 grams including tent stakes, guys & stuff sacks (but minus the tarps). It is unbranded & from China. Cost is about $50 (delivered). Reviews are minimal, but surprisingly very positive, saying it it well made & durable.

You can see why it is hard to 'replace' these tarps with a tent or bivvy. The camo is excellent. There is virtually no foliage below, but the tarp is still fighting to blend into the ground- its almost like these tarps are alive!

Now try & find the tarp tent in this picture!

A.) It is centre screen partially obscured by a small bush to its left & there is a red drink crate in front of it:love: When I went to take this shot I couldn't find my tent in the frame!

Construction: Eyelets are reinforced & made by a US company called 'Trucker Industries PTY LTD', enough said...

Military NSN number & Australian Military 'broad arrow' symbol. Tapped seams as standard. Made in 2001, but they seem brand new. I have only used them once, but plan using them much, much more.

Both tarps folded up with a 1.25L coke zero bottle for some scale. I had them on the scales with my packs once, and from memory they together both weighed about 1350 grams, reasonable for what they are.

Tarps set up in A-Frame with the Australian Army Hootchie mosquito box. I have no doubt the Pu water head rating of these tarps would be off the charts, definitely in excess of 10,000mm! I am confident they could handle a fairly severe storm too. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to find out.
Re: The mesh tent
Keeps the snakes out,
Keeps the mosquitoes and bugs out,
Keeps the ground water run off from coming through ,
Has a couple entries if one zip gets stuck.
Looks pretty good to me , the main concerns taken care of.

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I was also told, way back in the 80's, that new uniforms had something like chlorophyl in them. Something to do with making them a little less visible to night vision. But after 3 washes or so it wasn't effective any more. Can't find any info on that though. Maybe it was bs :)

Not BS. I read last night exactly that. Chemically reactive military GORTEX has that in it. It is very resistant to night vision gear. But if you wash it its gone. I don't know if these tarps have this, but I wouldn't be surprised. Especially as they are a major part of infantry gear & are used all the time. I'm only hiding from animals though:rolleyes:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Re: The mesh tent
Keeps the snakes out,
Keeps the mosquitoes and bugs out,
Keeps the ground water run off from coming through ,
Has a couple entries if one zip gets stuck.
Looks pretty good to me , the main concerns taken care of.

Cheers(y)
Its good to get some feedback.
Yes I wanted something sealed, but lightweight. Can also be used in summer or humid places.

I appreciated the extra entrance on the side also. As you picked up, most pup tents seem to only have them at the ends & often one end only. I heard from one reviewer when I was looking at tents, a side entrance as opposed to end entrance can be good if you want to cook just outside your tent if its raining. Of course the tarp would have to be adjusted higher to do so. He said that way you can lay on your side as opposed to sitting up at the end of the tent when cooking, which can become a bit cramped/uncomfortable. If that makes sense.

Its a cheap alternative. At least for now. I can see how it goes until I find the ultimate light weight shelter- if there is such a thing! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Russian Army Veshmeshok Backpack (AKA "The Potato Sack").

Traditional, classic, military surplus canvas bags, especially in top condition, are becoming hard to find now.
I heavily treated mine with US Otter Wax, its now virtually a dry bag.

The check-out chick was impressed to say the least. I received comments of praise on this bag the first time I took it out:cool:

Loadout - Its bigger than people think, maybe 35-40L. I figured if it fought the NAZI's, I am sure it can handle a very heavy 2week supply shopping run:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lunch!

Now fully water proof

Newspaper is 100% dry after 2L of water being dumped over the bag(y)

Last edited:

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Part of my urban kit is a peanut lighter. Small, cheap, refillable, waterproof, won't leak. Mine doesn't get much use. Probably twice a year I'll try to top it up with half a teaspoon of petrol. This is purely for convenience where most people would use a bic lighter. I generally try to look for alternatives to disposable stuff. Also, if you carry a bic in your kit, it's recommended that you put a zip tie under the red fuel tab, so that it doesn't leak out on you.

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Part of my urban kit is a peanut lighter. Small, cheap, refillable, waterproof, won't leak. Mine doesn't get much use. Probably twice a year I'll try to top it up with half a teaspoon of petrol. This is purely for convenience where most people would use a bic lighter. I generally try to look for alternatives to disposable stuff. Also, if you carry a bic in your kit, it's recommended that you put a zip tie under the red fuel tab, so that it doesn't leak out on you.

View attachment 26055

Wow! I wonder where you found that little tacker! Isn't it great when we re-discover things in life we knew probably exist, but forgot existed or were possible? You're mini fuel lighter is one of those things! I really like that little lighter(y)

I have a lot of respect for bow drill fire guys, but realistically speaking they are not for me. At least for now. Heck I am almost over fire-steel. I brought 2 Swedish Light My Fire Steels at the cost of $60 AUD + postage from Europe & both have come out of their holder, and the first time I used them too:mad: Seem Light My Fire ...Ummm, ....Didn't light my fire(n) So I may consider a lighter like that. Thanks for the zip-tie tip on Bic(y) I have seen it before in reviews, but didn't really know what it was.

Just my keys are a plethora of survival equipment - you know, what I thought was important - I don't wanna end up like Tom Hanks (if you know what I mean...) I was in a newly built basement of a massive apartment block in Sydney once, with my GF. ALL the lights suddenly went out. I pulled out my Photon Freedom micro & saved the day, possibly our lives. Believe it (the place was abandoned for another 10 days until people started moving in. The occasional tradie may have been on site doing final adjustments now & again, but he'd never of heard us). I would not be surprised if more people have died in elevators than they have in the bush. In fact don't be surprised if you walk into a room one day & it becomes you're tomb. Stranger things have happened!

My (EDC) keys alone are a mini survival kit. I never leave home without them.
- Survival whistle (do not use around pets- F*#ikng lound!)
- Fire-steel in solid brass case
- Striker
- Photon Freedom micro: visible upto 1 mile away, water proof to 1m, very durable case & shatterproof lense (never used)
- Spyderco Bug stainless steel folding knife 1" blade razors sharp (for seat belts & general utility)- makes an great gift!
- Glow in the dark key ID tab
- Mini-tape (personal use)
- Keys
- PS, I have a Sunnto Finnish compass on my G-Shock Square ;)

Last edited:

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I always have a mini tape near the laptop for checking out measurements of things I'm looking at online. I use a ferro rod in my bush kit because it is even more basic than the peanut lighter. For example - if you lose the lid to the peanut lighter, the fuel won't last long, or the wick might get wet while you've got the lid of? And even your ferro rods that broke off the handles - the rods are still usable. Hard to beat those :) That's a good micro edc kit you've got. The peanut lighter for me is just convenience in an urban situation. It could be used as a survival tool, but I wouldn't plan it that way.

Last edited:

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I always have a mini tape near the laptop for checking out measurements of things I'm looking at online. I use a ferro rod in my bush kit because it is even more basic than the peanut lighter. For example - if you lose the lid to the peanut lighter, the fuel won't last long, or the wick might get wet while you've got the lid of? And even your ferro rods that broke off the handles - the rods are still usable. Hard to beat those :) That's a good micro edc kit you've got. The peanut lighter for me is just convenience in an urban situation. It could be used as a survival tool, but I wouldn't plan it that way.

Got it. I agree 100% The lighter would never 'replace' the ferro rod in by bush kit/fire kit pouch either. I think I may use some serious apoxy to glue the rods in, but one shouldn't have to do this with a quality steel like Light My Fire:rolleyes: Seems we both like measuring things, that why the mini-tape stayed also ;) Keep that ripper of a lighter topped up(y)

Randall

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to ferro rods. I tried one in the back yard and found it easy to get a fire going. It was just a cheap thing. I found this dude on youtube (there are some great skills on there) who is down to earth. He has a collection of rods, cheap to expensive. They all seem to work the same. The biggy was what do you strike your rod with? The real test was the knives. Incidentally; he mentions how rods always come off their handles :) Watch from about 12min.

Edward

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
A wise man once told to me, "make the gear you take a PRIORITY"

And I listened:unsure:

For those interested, the German Army Mountain Ruckack water-bottle holders will carry a 1 Litre bottle of Johnny Black, just :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Seems I have my priorities in order:rolleyes: